We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the better route?

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the better route?

Looking at Google maps, it appears there are 2 routes to take when coming from BUF to the Marriott Hotel and Spa. Can either take 290 to 190 across Grand Island and then the Robert Moses Parkway to the Rainbow Bridge, or take 190 to Fort Erie and take the QEW. We'll be making the journey around 12:30/1pm on a Tuesday. Does one route have any advantages over the other? Prettier scenery?

I'm leaning towards the QEW just because it looks like more highway time, so probably quicker.

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the better route?

I always cross at Fort Erie and exit immediately at Central Ave and take the Niagara Parkway to the Falls.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,624 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the better route?

Both routes are all highway until you get into Niagara Falls. The U.S. route is a little shorter but the determining factor will be the bridge crossings. On a Tuesday afternoon in April, there shouldn't be a problem, but if you check the wait times at each bridge before you leave the airport, that will decide your choice.

niagarafallsbridges.com/traffic_conditions.p…

800-715-6722

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
595 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the better route?

I agree with Oompappy. The Niagara Parkway route is the best. It is a very nice scenic drive along the river. It takes a bit longer to get to the Falls but its worth it.

If you do decide on that route, I'd recommend taking a look at a map before going so that you don't get lost. Once you take the Central Ave. exit, don't turn onto Central. Go straight onto Queen St. which will lead you to the Niagara Parkway. Make a left and follow the river. Also, once in Chippawa it can get a little confusing as well. You'll want to make a right on Portage Rd. and then right onto Macklem St. Which continues as the Niagara Parkway.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the better route?

Thanks!

I was looking at doing the Niagara Parkway, but we'll see how we feel after landing and play that one by ear. Looks like QEW will be our main route, and if feeling up to it the Niagara Parkway

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the better route?

Crossing over a the Rainbow bridge takes you right next to the US state park of Niagara--A must see, IMO. You can walk right near the edge of the American Falls in the US state park, plus there is Luna Island that puts you as close to the falls as one can get.

The Canadian side offers great, maybe better views but at more of a distance.

Now you always can just walk across the Rainbow Bridge sometime during your trip, just bring your passports and 50 cents for each person.

I like seeing both the US and Canadian sides. I always recommend getting a hotel room on the Canadian side and spending most your time there but the US state park is nice also.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the better route?

stillsmoking, we plan on doing 1/2-full day on the US side, so won't matter if we don't see the US State Park on the way in, but thanks for the tips :)

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is the better route?

1/2 day is perfect, IMO....here's to great weather on your trip.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is the better route?

well, we've only got a month to go, and if the weather is at all like Chicago, I'm not optimistic lol! It'll just be nice to get away for a bit before the little bambino arrives. A "babymoon" if you will

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
427 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is the better route?

I much prefer the Grand Island/Robert Moses Parkway route (compared to the QEW - not the Niagara Parkway). I like the first view of the falls to be as you're crossing over the bridge.

The QEW between Fort Erie and Niagara doesn't offer much scenery.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is the better route?

I kinda want our first view of the falls to not be in traffic, and avoid the dings to the rental car!