We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-fancy non-chain dining

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Non-fancy non-chain dining

Are there any decent places to eat in Niagara that aren't fancy and expensive (most of the places in hotels strike me as being in this category) or chain tacky and expensive (planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, Hard Rock and the like)?

I'm looking for a decent meal for a family with 2 kids. While eating out on vacation is nice I do not want to make the meal or setting a focal point of the trip.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

Everything in Niagara is expensive, even fast food chains. Nothing in Niagara is fancy- even the fine dining resturants (such as you would see in fallsview hotels) are casual because not many people travel with dresses/suits/ties/etc.

About 95% of resturants in Niagara are chains because people apparently like to know where they're going and exactly what they're getting.

PS: I love the rainforest cafe :)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

Yes, many of the restaurants are expensive. We ate at a Denny's once for breakfast and it came to over $80 for three (and it wasn't a big meal). Most restaurants do this in tourist places because they know people (especially people with kids) need to eat, and if there on vacation they don't want to cook, so people are bound to eat at these places no matter what the price.

Although dineing at places like Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe and Hard Rock are fun and can be included as part of the vacation. Rainforest Cafe is really fun, it's in a jungle setting with animatronic animals! It's just like being in the rainforest! And plus they have "thunderstorms" every 30 minutes! It's really fun there, and a great place for kids. It's expensive but for Niagara Falls they have good prices.

Any meal for a family at a restaurant (excluding fast food joints) in Niagara below $40 is going to be at a real shabby place (and you probley don't want to eat the food in one of those places). So if you don't like the idea of Rainforest or any of them, and you don't want to eat in a gross place (who would?) there's always McDonalds or Burger King!

Enjoy your trip

htm
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

You may want to try the Pilgrim Restaurant on Clifton Hill, has good food and the prices are one of the cheapest on Clifton Hill.

Other suggestions are Antica Pizzarea on Victoria Ave. at Clifton Hill, good for pizza, Mick and Angelo's on Lundy's Lane and Montrose Road (getting a little far) or Flying Saucer on Lundy's Lane for breakfast.

All the mentioned restaurants are not chains, family friendly and have much more reasonable prices.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
967 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

I think Mic & Angelo's was a chain???

chesterfield,va
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

Try the flying saucer on Lundy's Lane your kids will love it . They have all kinds of food. Open for breakfast,lunch and dinner.

st catherines
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

eat at The Secret Garden best place to get a good size meal very nice ,clean and inexpensive. it is located right inside the same gates as oakes park. at first when you walk in it will be a gift shop , it is located in the back of the shop . I think a family of 4 will leave there full for under 40 bucks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

Thank you for the suggestions.

I known that we are in the minority but my family is generally not that fond of touristy things.Seeing a unique site-great. Doing something that we don't do at home (such as a water park or jet boats) -great. Eating at the same Planet Hollywood that we could find at home - not so great.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

Unfortunately Niagara Falls is the tourist trap of Canada - a place where you're not really going to escape the same old chains. What I find really interesting is that those very chains that you can normally escape elsewhere, are what's in demand for the average tourist that visits Niagara Falls. And what's really unfortunate is that the prices in Niagara Falls are a lot more than what the exact same restaurants would charge in other locations. (I have read about the overpriced Niagara Denny's on this forum numerous times... and while I'm not a fan of Denny's at the best of times, it always sounds like Niagara Falls is the one place in Canada where you have a rather uninspiring dining destination where you don't necessarily get what you pay for. Have you considered dining outside of Niagara Falls?

htm
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

"I think Mic & Angelo's was a chain???"

well then i take back what i said :P

i never knew mic & angelo's is a chain, I've never heard of it outside the falls. It seems to win so many restaurant awards in the falls which very few chains win.

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-fancy non-chain dining

BC Robin

the only reason that the Denny's is over priced is because it is owned by the Hilton....

MadMarcus..try going to Zappis....great Italian food, great prices