We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on driving from New York City to Niagara Falls

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
18 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on driving from New York City to Niagara Falls

Hi. I am thinking about driving from NYC to Niagara Falls with my husband and 13 year old in July. Has anyone done this? What side trips/attractions/sites are on that route? Both natural and man-made. Thanks.

Niagara Region
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on driving from New York City to Niagara Falls

I live about 20 min. past Niagara Falls and have done the drive to NYC a few times but we've driven straight through - it took us about 7.5 hrs - last August, I did this roadtrip with my 16 year old. Every year, we also do separate weekend getaways to the Finger Lakes area of NY - Ithaca, Watkins Glen - for the amazing gorge trails/waterfalls that are in both of those towns. Ithaca has Cornell University - great campus for architecture and walking around and the town is pretty cool - great restaurants - Moosewood the very famous vegan/vegetarian restaurant. Also Letchworth State Park - called the Grand Canyon of the East - more great hiking. So if you are into these kinds of things, I would recommend this area as a stopping point - if you take the US 17 route as we usually do.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
822 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on driving from New York City to Niagara Falls

I could be wrong but don't you go through Saratoga Springs? If you do, it is a wonderful place to stop for a day or two. There are great restaurants, tours in town, the race track if open, and historic places close by.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on driving from New York City to Niagara Falls

Saratoga Springs is not really enroute to Niagara Falls, unless you want to go straight north and quite a bit east.

You could do one route up and another back. I-81 and I-90 takes you past Ithaca (as noted above), and then along the top of the Finger Lakes, past Rochester (the Strong Museum for Children is great here, as is the Eastman Kodak Photography Museum) There's also the large Darien Lake Amusement Park.. I-80 takes you through Corning (home of the famous/infamous Corning glass and china ware), and East Aurora which is a fascinating town - home to historical furniture makers.

You might want to check out the NY State forum for some ideas, as you are essentially travelling through the USA, not Canada to get to the Falls area.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 22:23
4. Re: Advice on driving from New York City to Niagara Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:18