We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to pay in niagara falls

slower lower...
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
best way to pay in niagara falls

My family is coming to Niagara in 2 weeks and I am wondering the best way to pay for things. Specifically is it better to give my kids a visa gift card or is cash better? If cash is it better to exchange to canadian money or just use US money? Thanks

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,911 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

Because NF sits on the border, they are more likely to accept USD than other areas. Realize that they do it as a courtesy (since USD are not legal currency in Canada) and that the exchange rate may not be in your favour. You should still have some Canadian cash on hand for those instances where US cash is not acceptable. Otherwise most people use a credit card.

See this article for info on Canadian money and how to get the best exchange rate:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:B…

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

If you pull out cash from a Canadian ATM, you'll get Canadian Dollars at a good exchange rate but get hit with the fees from your bank as well as the atm. If you use a credit card you'll likely get charged a 3% foreign transaction fee per swipe, and I'd imagine the gift card would be the same.

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

FYI there are credit cards "designed" for travel that will not charge foreign transaction fees. Best to call your bank asn ask

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

Yes, cards with no foreign transaction fees are awesome. I totally love my southwest rapid rewards visa!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,498 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

Transaction fees are irrelevant, just a marketing scheme. One needs to focus on the effective exchange rate of the various alternatives. Banks don't work for nothing.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

Transaction fee's are hardly irrelevant or a marketing scheme. You either get charged for it, or you don't. A 3% fee per transaction adds up, especially if you're going through the trouble of trying to find the best exchange rate. Being that your credit/debit card often gives the best exchange (way better than most currency exchange places), it's something to consider especially if you have the option to avoid it.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

I found most places were more then happy to take my US dollars at par--even out in Hamilton. Maybe since the Canadian dollar is now worth only 95 cents to the US dollar ?

Edited: 26 June 2013, 22:57
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,911 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

Given how often you are in this country Stillsmoking one would have thought you'd have a cache of Canadian dollars. And also understand there is a level of respect involved in using a country's own currency, rather than assuming you can use a foreign currency at will.

slower lower...
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

Thanks for the information

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to pay in niagara falls

Yeah I like using the ATM to get Canadian dollars however I was passing through Hamilton on the way to Niagara. Stop and seen an air show-which was great. When I left Canada the last time back in Feb, I spend my last dollars in London, not thinking I be coming up early on a Sunday in June.

I got this fear of the ATM eating my debt card, so I always wait until I reach my final destination, so if the machine doesn't give my card back I can go in the bank when it opens the next day.

The air show and one place I stop in while in Hamilton both had no problems taking my US dollars. I hope I did not insult them, gee.