We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Shuttle from Canadian side of Niagara to US side

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage Shuttle from Canadian side of Niagara to US side

We are planning to visit both Canadian and US side of Niagara falls, and enter US from Canada. I know that the Rainbow bridge is ideal for walking but I'll also have a checkin baggage. Are there cross-country luggage shuttles/bus from one side to another.

I have Indian passport, I am US alien resident and have single entry Canadian visa. I don't want to cross the border twice, due to visa and budget restrictions.

The itinerary that I have planned so far is like :

Land in Toronto in an international flight from India (2 night) -> Niagara Canada (1 night) -> Niagara US (1N) -> NYC (in amtrak train direct route between ) -> ....... rest within US.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Shuttle from Canadian side of Niagara to US side

There is no public transportation or shuttle service between the 2 Niagara Falls'. You CAN walk across with your luggage, or a taxi will do the job.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage Shuttle from Canadian side of Niagara to US side

I would suspect that for security reasons, you may have to accompany your luggage across the border.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
502 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage Shuttle from Canadian side of Niagara to US side

Ya, I can just imagine the conversation with the border guard for that shuttle service:

Border Guard: What are you bringing into the country?

Shuttle Driver: I have no idea - some people just payed me to drive their bags across the international border.

I don't quite think that would fly.

Although, I had my luggage delivered to me from the Buffalo Airport when it was delayed, but the driver had all of my customs papers stating what was in my luggage.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage Shuttle from Canadian side of Niagara to US side

I guess we'll need some clarification from the OP.

I took it that he didn't want to have to struggle with his luggage while walking across the bridge and was looking for some sort of vehicle service to get him across.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage Shuttle from Canadian side of Niagara to US side

Can't help with the cost angle, but two comments on the border formalities mentioned in the original question:

- You said you're a US alien resident -- if you're actually a permanent resident of the US (you have your I-551 "green card") you can use that to enter Canada without a Canadian visa (very last item on cic.gc.ca/english/…exemptions ). If you hold some other status, e.g. H-1, then you'd need a Canadian visa.

- A single-entry visa to Canada does allow you to re-enter Canada from the US (www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp…).

On replies #2 and 3 -- while bags and packages can cross the border unaccompanied (FedEx does it all the time) you wouldn't want to deal with the paperwork or costs and there probably isn't a local company that does this between Niagara Falls, NY and Niagara Falls, Ontario in the way that you'd need.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage Shuttle from Canadian side of Niagara to US side

Reply #2 was based on the assumption that fallsdude (in reply #1) was suggesting that a taxi could carry the luggage while the OP and companion walked across the bridge.

Obviously, parcels and mail cross the border unaccompanied, as long as all of the required paperwork is in order; along with the added trouble and expense, the time required for the transaction must also be factored in.

7. Re: Luggage Shuttle from Canadian side of Niagara to US side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 06:21