We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

Paisley, Scotland
Level Contributor
350 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

Hello!!

We'll be arriving in NF around lunchtime on a Friday (arrive in Pearson 11.30) and staying Fri, Sat and Sun nts. We thought we would go straight to the falls that afternoon and do maid of the mist and spend done time at Clifton Hill in the evening. We'll maybe go to niagra on the lake on the Saturday and back to the falls that night to see them lit up.

I'm looking for suggestions for the Sunday??! Our kids will be 8, 6 and 4 when we're there so winery trips etc aren't really what we're looking for.

We were thinking we'd leave early Monday morning and go to lego land in Vaughan followed by a wee trip to the outlet malls so we wouldn't need to visit the NF outlet malls.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,074 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

Butterfly Conservatory, Bird Kingdom, Skywheel, Marineland (before Oct 13), Welland Canal, Fireworks Over the Falls on Friday Oct 4 and Friday Oct 11.

At that time of year, and with kids that age, a visit to a pumpkin patch might be an idea. There are a few in the area, at least one being almost an amusement park.

ahowlinggoodtime.com

www.warnerranchandpumpkinfarm.com

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

Clifton Hill has enough things for kids to do for both days, Sat and Sunday.

There is always the Butterfly Conservatory and gardens if Clifton Hill turns out to be just a one day event. niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/b…

There is also the Areo Car and Nature Glen just S.E. of the Conservatory.

Yeah, go over there, the kids should enjoy it.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

In none of your posts have you said exactly when in October you are coming. As a note, the weekend of October 12-14th is Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada - some businesses and attractions may be closed ... especially on either the Sunday or Monday ... in areas that are not designated tourist areas.

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

The prices at the factory outlet mall in Niagara Falls NY will generally be lower than at Vaughan Mills. Legoland is worth visiting

Paisley, Scotland
Level Contributor
350 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

Thank you!!

My husband and I were just wondering if there would be a difference in price between Vaughan and NF so that's good to know.

We arrive Friday 11th October. I thought that the fireworks finished before we got there so that's good to know. I read that they are being lit up purple on the Saturday so we're looking forward to that.

Thanks for all of the other ideas. The butterfly conservatory would go down very well with my 3 along with some of the others.

We know that Canada's Wonderland is only open the Saturday and Sunday so we won't make it there but I've already contacted Legoland and they are open on the Monday :)

We had found a pumpkin farm in Burlington that we were thinking we might visit on the Wednesday on our way to family elsewhere along the 401.

Really appreciate the replies.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

Cows in Niagara on the Lake is worth a visit, the best ice cream in Canada....great novelty items for the kids!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,475 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

I'm glad so many have mentioned the Niagara Parks Butterfly Conservatory to you, because not only is an enjoyable time for all, it will be a nice indoor break if it happens to be cooler outside.............note that post #4 refers to outlet shopping in Niagara Falls, New York, being less expensive............the outlets in Niagara Falls, Ontario will be priced the same as Vaughan Mills, store for store...........outlet shopping in the states is almost always less expensive than in Canada...........

Paisley, Scotland
Level Contributor
350 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

Great, thanks!! We'll be sure to pay Cows a visit :)

And thanks for outlet mall advice! I crossed the border in 1995 to go to a ball game (travelled from London ON to Detroit) but found the experience altogether intimidating. People at customs were not friendly to say the least. It really put me off doing it this time round with kids in tow- would it be similar at NF or less so? Could we walk through or would we need to take the car?

Thanks.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

You can walk across the Rainbow Bridge at NF, but in order to get to the malls (outlet or otherwise) you would need a vehicle. And as UK citizens you will be fingerprinted and need to fill out forms. Frankly - it's probably not worth the bother, especially with children. And yes - it can be intimidating, although not always. Remember - it's not their job to be friendly - it's to keep the border secure.

There is also now another outlet mall outside of Toronto... Premium Outlets which operate a number of outlet malls in the US now have a new location in Halton Hills.

www.torontopremiumoutlets.ca/outlet/toronto

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,475 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 5 visiting NF in October- what to do??!

The Tanger Outlets have a location in Cookstown, just north of Vaughan Mills, off of the 400 Highway, for even more choice... The Children's Place outlet store there has some insanely good deals.......decisions, decisions!

http://www.tangeroutlet.com

Edited: 13 September 2013, 12:39