We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the incline railway?

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What is the incline railway?

Stupid question here ... what is the incline railway exactly? If I am thinking of staying at the Marriott Gateway (6755 Fallsview), is this going to help me out any??

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the incline railway?

Yes indeed. The railway is a short quick ride that takes u from Street level right down to theFalls. It is only 100 yards orso but tough to walk. You will be glad to use it. Jose

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the incline railway?

The problem is, there's no where to walk right near the Incline Ride, you need to walk north to the first street, walk down the hill and then go south to see the Horseshoe Falls. Takes "forever" lol and the walk back up the little hill-after you walked all around the area-is not fun, its a pain, IMO.

What they have is rail car that holds up to 40 or so. There is 2 rail cars, one is on top of the hill, there other one is at the bottom. They both move at the same time. Good thing is, it runs around every 5-7 mins, even if the cars are not too full and the ride takes only a minute or two.

The ride has been updated and is now enclosed and open year round with longer operating hours. The Marriott hotel is right near the ride, you walk out the rear door of the hotel, cross a little bridge and you are there. Before you know it, you are right near the Horseshoe Falls with out getting worn out from walking "forever"

(its walkable in 15 mins but each way and then you still want to walk around to see the sights. The Incline Ride sure helps out)

Edited: 19 October 2013, 00:02
Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the incline railway?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falls_Incline_Railway

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the incline railway?

Good info SS...

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the incline railway?

Cool picture of the hill on wikipedia link Jay but those cars have been upgraded and are now enclosed. The track is a little higher off the ground now, maybe for the snow in the winter ? Somebody needs to send wikipedia a current picture of it, 2010 is so old now, lol

Edited: 19 October 2013, 06:11
MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the incline railway?

Very helpful info everyone. Thanks!!!!!!

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
667 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the incline railway?

We've been meaning to start a Flickr page dedicated to Niagara Falls for awhile now. This seemed like a good time to start. So, here's a link to our new page with some pics and a vid of the new railway...

www.flickr.com/photos/loveniagarafalls

There is also a pic of a model of the new Hornblower boat that we saw last time we were at the Falls.

Regarding the new Incline Railway, how much was the total cost? Wasn't it over $7 million? The enclosed climate controlled cars look very nice and it's great it will run all year long, but couldn't they have spent a little more money to make the "stations" at the top and the bottom appear a bit more aesthetically pleasing? The top station has what looks like cheap canvas covering the base of the landing. And the lower station appears empty and boring. At least the old one had those nice awnings to make it look nicer. Maybe they still have plans to put some finishing touches on it?

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the incline railway?

Awesome, I gotta get a Flickr page one of these days.

As for the pay stations, I didn't really notice them as an eyesore but then I likely was looking at the new rails and cars.

I wish we could get rid of many cashiers. What ever happen to the idea of stores just billing your charge card as you leave-use their services? I recall many years ago they were predicting stores would later on just scan your grocery cart as you either load items into the cart or when you left the store. The bill would been electronically billed to your account. Was to speed shopping times way up cause no need to stand in line to pay for your items. What we ended up getting instead was U scans that that twice as long to checkout, lol.

Maybe in another 25 years it finally happen.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
153 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the incline railway?

The incline railway is a lot easier than walking up Murray Hill.

MIssouri
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the incline railway?

Thanks Wendy-n-Tom for the photos ... really gives a good vantage of the incline.

Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls