We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the border from Canada to USA

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the border from Canada to USA

Hi everyone!

Plan to fly from Norway and land in Toronto, spend a few days, see Niagara Falls and then cross the border either at Niagara Falls or close to Buffalo.

Want to take a flight to New York from Buffalo you see :-)

First I thought the ESTA form would be enough but now I understand I need this I-94 form aswell when crossing with the car?

I have some questions if you don't mind answering and of course know the answers:

1. Can I fill out the I-94 form before I get to the border to save time?

2. Will the car be stopped on the US side for a check?

3. What happens when we fly back home to Norway from the US? Normally they would have registred us in the ESTA system and would "check us out" as we leave.

Also as a side question. If we've booked a flight from Buffalo to New York on the US side. How long do you guys think we need to cross the border by car in June? We would want to make our flight :-)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,671 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the border from Canada to USA

Hi enurweb;

I would suggest reading the replies to your previous post. You seem to have missed a great deal of information.

tripadvisor.ca/…53725584

Best Regards

Edited: 28 October 2013, 13:25
Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the border from Canada to USA

I saw that thank you :-)

Just people in that other thread encouraged me to ask these questions on the Niagara Falls forum.

I think I got how it all works now crossing the border by car.

But, when I'm writting on this forum anyways. Are there more we should see or do when we are at Niagara Falls other than enjoy the amazing view and taking a boat trip in front of the falls?

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the border from Canada to USA

It depends on what your interests are. If your going to NYC you might find Niagara to simply be a quick stop. If you want to golf or see the Botanical Gardens and Butterfly Conservatory. Nature Glen offers some hiking on the rock formations. All that stuff expect golf interest me. NYC is worlds apart

Edited: 29 October 2013, 21:38
Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the border from Canada to USA

Enjoy the falls from all the different perspectives possible: looking out across the gorge at the American and Horseshoe Falls, standing near the brink of the falls; taking the Maid of the Mist boat tour, going down to below the falls at their base, and from up above in one of the towers or observatories. And then come back to see them at night. Each is its own unique experience.

Beyond that, there is nothing that you "should" do, but there are other fun things while you are there. Check out the "things to do list" for your options.

Since it sounds like you are flying into Toronto and will be renting a car there, as long as you have it, I believe there is one other thing you "should" do even before you get to Niagara. On the way from Toronto to Niagara, near Cambridge, is African Lion Safari. It is one of my favorite places to see animals. Much better than any zoo I've ever been to. Almost as good as seeing them in the wild. You drive amongst them in your car (or park bus) so that you are the one who is caged and they roam about freely. Truly is like being on a safari.

http://www.lionsafari.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfuMDh79yEg

Kristiansand, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the border from Canada to USA

I will put down a note of that lion safari. Thanks for the tip!

Even though I must say I'm probably a bit spoiled coming to zoo's in general since we have the only real zoo in Norway and maybe one of the better ones in north Europe at a 15 minutes drive from where I live :-)

It's not a drive through zoo or a safari though so I might be checking this one out :-)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crossing the border from Canada to USA

@ post #4........that was an enjoyable utube video....great close ups of the animals, thanx for sharing..

7. Re: Crossing the border from Canada to USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:16