We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

South Carolina
Level Contributor
106 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

What if you have an early flight and need to cross the border really early in the a.m. Let's say you have a 6:30am flight. How early should you be at the border?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

What ariport are you flying out of Niagara Falls or Buffalo? This will effect the time. Very early in the am, there should not be to much of a delay crossing the border.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
106 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

We will be flying out of Buffalo. We'll rent a car to use while we are there. Staying on the Canada side.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

Buffalo airport is approximately 40 minutes from Niagara Falls, ON. You should plan to be at the airport at 5 am. Give yourself an hour to cross the border just in case. Leave at 3:30 am. Yes, this is conservative, but there can be hour long waits at odd hours. If you are going in the next 4-5 months, Buffalo is notorious for snowstorms and it could take longer than 40 minutes to get to the airport. I've had it take 45 minutes for checkin at BUF on more than one occasion.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

Unless there is a snow storm is in the forecast, I'd leave NF at 4ish......

Edited: 13 November 2013, 23:34
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

One time had an early morning flight from Buffalo, got stopped, pulled over, and searched. But first they had to finish their coffee break. So always safe to leave time for the unusual.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
106 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

Thanks everyone. We'll be going the end of May. Haven't booked flight yet, just looking at times. Think I'll see if they have any later flights for return trip. Thanks again :)

NIagara Falls...
Level Contributor
815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

At that time of morning the Rainbow Bridge will have only 1 or 2 customs lanes open; but really there shouldn't be any more than a minute or two delay unless there are several cars lined up.

I wouldn't be on the bridge much later than 4 a.m.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
23 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

I would recommend crossing at the Peace Bridge if you are flying out of Buffalo. If you are staying in Niagara Falls, On, it is certainly simpler to fly out of Niagara Falls, New York, but your flight might not conveniently connect there. I'd leave time for crossing, but you can check online to see what very approximate crossing times are (and they usually err on the short side). If you are coming in May, or any other time of the year, please note that crossing the borders will ALWAYS be busier on weekends and if there is any sort of holiday in Canada or the United States. For example, in Canada May 24 is Victoria Day and there will be a long weekend associated with it. Some will choose to visit friends/shop/ or travel in the US.

9. Re: Early flight and crossing the border back into the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls