We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenir penny machines

Tariffville...
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenir penny machines

Does anyone know if there are souvenir penny machines at any of the attractions? I am thinking of White Water Walk, Bird Kingdom, Butterfly Conservatory, Hornblower, etc.

Also, with no pennies in Canada, do I need to bring a supply of US pennies?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenir penny machines

No need to bring pennies. Just creates a PIA for the cashier. Cash purchases are rounded up or down to the nearest 5 or 10 cents. So $25.42 would be $25.40. $25.44 would be $25.45. and so on.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
514 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenir penny machines

You would probably need to bring your own pennies for the machines, since you won't get them in your change here.

Sorry - can't help you with the location of the machines. The only one I know of is in the Hershey store.

Tariffville...
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenir penny machines

phpr,

I was specifically asking if I need to supply my own pennies for the souvenir penny machines. Not trying to make problems for any of the cashiers.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,416 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenir penny machines

Well sorry ... I obviously know nothing about souvenir penny machines.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souvenir penny machines

I think you may have to bring your pennies now, you may get lucky since these place have the souvenir machines, they may keep a stock of them, but I would carry your own to be on the safe side...

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souvenir penny machines

I do believe that in Canada, these machines press a copper blank, rather than the penny you put in, as it is illegal to deface currency. That being the case, it really shouldn't matter what kind of penny you insert.

Brooklyn, Ohio
Level Contributor
680 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souvenir penny machines

There used to be a penny machine at the Table Rock Welcome Centre. Not sure if it is still there. Also think I recall seeing some at one or two of the souvenir shops on Clifton Hill or Victoria Avenue.

Tariffville...
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Souvenir penny machines

Thanks for all the replies. We will keep an eye out and pack a roll or two of pennies just in case. (My kids love collecting them.)

After my OP, I found the following website which lists machines in US and Internationally, several listed in Niagara Falls but some info is a couple years old.

http://www.pennycollector.com/AreaList.aspx

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Souvenir penny machines

I have started to see the "penny" machines that use a 5, 10 or 25 cent

I am going to start to look for the Canadian ones to see what they are doing. As my son has a collection of them. There is one nearby that I can check (it might take a week or so to get there)

Yes it is officially "illegal" to deface a Canadian coin, but not all of the Canadian ones do have the blank in them.

They are not as popular in Canada as they are in the US. I believe there is also an ipad app with locations.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Souvenir penny machines

Off topic but i used to place pennies on railroad tracks and let the train flatted them. Could never find all the pennies after the train went by, the pennies would be flatted so thin they be the size of a quarter.

Crazy stuff kids did before video games came around, lol

Get answers to your questions about Niagara Falls
Recent Conversations