We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border requirements into Niagara Falls CA

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Border requirements into Niagara Falls CA

sorry if this has been posted before, but i just want to be sure.

We are US citizens w/passports planning to visit Niagara Falls Canada side. My understanding is that to enter Canada and return to US, my wife and I need our US passports and our 4 children, all under the age of 10...would just need their Certified Birth Certificate to enter Canada and return to US. I have a relative that claims that children must have their passports.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border requirements into Niagara Falls CA

To enter Canada (by land), none of you "require" passports, but having them for the adults... and birth certificates for the kids would probably help to expidite matters:

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng…

Going back to the US from Canada (by land), it looks like you are ok with an original or certified copy of the childs birth certificate (see last paragraph):

…state.gov/content/…do-i-need.html

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Border requirements into Niagara Falls CA

To enter Canada, as an American, you would need to show whatever documentation would be required of you in returning to the US. The Canadian border guards need to know that any visitors will not be getting stranded in Canada.

By the way, TA staff do not monitor the threads closely enough to remove your other post as you requested. To delete a post, click on "Report inappropriate content" at the bottom and then select "Remove My Post" from the "Choose a reason" menu. I'm telling you here instead of on the other thread because threads are removed more cleanly when there are no replies.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Border requirements into Niagara Falls CA

Thank you for the feedback!!

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border requirements into Niagara Falls CA

The children would need passports if you were flying in, but since it is a land crossing, they only need the birth certificates.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,063 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border requirements into Niagara Falls CA

Hi sshams58;

Citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border, by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

If flying you MUST have a passport.

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

6. Re: Border requirements into Niagara Falls CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 07:16