We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eek! 22 inches of snow

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
eek! 22 inches of snow

Perhaps someone who lives in Niagara Falls area can help?

We are slated to leave for Niagara Falls from Ohio tomorrow. Seems like there's no way to get there that doesn't involve Buffalo.

Does anyone have a feel for whether things will be passable tomorrow? Or should I call and cancel now?

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eek! 22 inches of snow

In theory, you could cross at Detroit / Windsor and drive to Niagara along the northern shore of Lake Erie. But it sounds like that area got hit pretty hard too, as did the Ontario side of the Niagara Region.

On the positive side, you'd be getting the authentic Buffalo experience...

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eek! 22 inches of snow

It has already changed over to rain. You ought to be able to work around any road closures and find a bridge to cross over from Niagara Falls NY to Niagara Falls ON. Also, the snow has been very localized. I am typing this from Niagara-on-the-Lake and there is not a flake on the ground. (Well not a snow flake anyway.)

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: eek! 22 inches of snow

Oh good. That is what I was hoping to hear!

I will keep an ear to the weather, but looks like our trip is a go!

Thanks, everyone, for the quick responses!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: eek! 22 inches of snow

Niagara Falls proper seems to be okay. We only got wet flurries here on this side of the escarpment this morning. I hear the southern edge of the falls had some accumulation, but nothing terrible. Anywhere south of the falls through Buffalo is now closed. That includes Fort Erie, Pt. Colborne, Buffalo (and eastern suburbs). More than a quarter million people are without power in Buffalo, and they don't expect power to be restored until early next week. The forecast is calling for a warmup, so the snow should have melted by tomorrow. If all you're doing is driving through, there should not be a problem. Power outages should not really affect you.

Good luck and drive safely :)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eek! 22 inches of snow

Its earlier than usual, but.....Welcome to the Lake Effect Snow Season!

ohmom2, hope your trip works out(you oughta be familiar with lake effect snow!)

lancs uk
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: eek! 22 inches of snow

hya ohmom2

we arrive toronto friday, travel to niagra for 2 nights then drive down to hudson ohio would appreciate it if you could keep us updated of any problems we might encounter, hope you have a safe journey, thanks cya.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eek! 22 inches of snow

Let us know how you did, ohmom2, we genuinely care.

8. Re: eek! 22 inches of snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 07:21