We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

niagara falls in very cold winter?

Anna Maria Island...
Level Contributor
9 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
niagara falls in very cold winter?

We (2 adults, 2 teens) are considering a quick weekend trip to NF this weekend and I see that it is very cold and snowy. As we are from FL, my kids are excited about seeing snow for the first time. We are thinking of staying at the Marriot Courtyard on the Ontario side. Is there anything to see or do when it is so cold outside?

St. Catharines
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: niagara falls in very cold winter?

Niagara Falls is mostly for the summer but there are still things to see that aren't really assosiated with the falls. There is the beautiful Butterfly Conservatory which is all indoors ( niagarafallslive.com/butterfly_conservatory_… ). Click on that link for info. or do a google search. There is also a huge indoor bird aviary, and two huge indoor waterparks which are connected to hotels as a catch to get people to stay over. I've been in both of these waterparks and they are awesome to go into and see the snow through the glass windows while your in water. Seeing the falls up close is even more awesome in the winter even though u must bundle up warm. Too much to say, its an awesome place, the city of Niagara Falls and i go there all the time I live just 25 min. away.

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: niagara falls in very cold winter?

Dotatbeach

Niagara Falls is awsome in the winter.....the Ice..the mist....the rainbows..if its sunny outside...as the previous poster listed..there is loads to do....there are also indoor water parks....:)

Enjoy your weekend:)

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: niagara falls in very cold winter?

oops..sorry:(..didn't read the previous pot in full

Niagara falls,Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: niagara falls in very cold winter?

Don't forget the new giant ferris wheel with enclosed, heated cars.

The Falls are also illuminated every night and are quite beautiful during winter.

ALso indoors,the Niagara Parks Greenhouse.

Clifton hills midway is a year round operation and offers hundreds of midway games.

We also have our wax museums , ripleys, etc, that are open.

You'll have a full weekend.

Have dinner at one of the elevated Restaurants or by the Brink of the Falls at Table Rock Restaurant (parks commission).

Thanks for thinking of Niagara Falls Canada.

Niagara Falls...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: niagara falls in very cold winter?

We are having a cold snap and its cold, even for us! To enjoy the Falls, dress warmly (boots and good socks, warm coat, scarf and mittens.) I dress in layers, especially if I have to be in and out of buildings. Long johns can give you a little more time to enjoy attractions outdoors as well, but are pretty warm once you go inside. Be prepared for very little sunshine. Ask some locals once you arrive for winter hiking, sledding or skating.

Anna Maria Island...
Level Contributor
9 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: niagara falls in very cold winter?

Thanks so much for all the help! Which hotels have the indoor water parks ? That sounds perfect!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: niagara falls in very cold winter?

Fallsview water park is connected to Sheraton on the Falls, Brock Plaza and Village Inn.

Great Wolf Lodge is a self contained resort a little bit away from the main tourist area.

Americana Hotel on Lundy's Lane has a small water park.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: niagara falls in very cold winter?

Bit late to reply but oh well, buy a couple carpet sleds and head to fireman's park, do people still go there? we had a great time there in the past

9. Re: niagara falls in very cold winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 11:20