We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

Hello,

We got back last night from spending two nights in NOTL. We had a great time. I got such great help from this site, that I wanted to post a little review of our experience to help others.

We stayed at the Carriage Inn on King Street. Perfect location! We could walk everywhere. The accomodations were nice. Not five star, but for $175 canadian they were quite nice compared to the prices of other places in town. The bed was comfortable, the fireplace a nice touch. There is a jacuzzi tub, but it is a regular sized bathtub with jets. Nothing too exciting. The decor is very nice and romantic. I have some pictures of the room that I can try to post later if people are interested. And you should know that this isn't a regular B&B or a hotel. There is no front desk to check in at and it isn't a person's home....when we made the reservation we were given the key code to the outside door and were told where to find our room key. It was fine for us, and we enjoyed the privacy that the Inn offererd, but if you are looking for high service this isn't the place for you. There was coffee in the room and ice and water in the hall. There are four rooms total which were all occupied the first night, but Sunday night we had the Inn to ourselves.

Saturday when we arrived, we got acquainted with the town and walked around checking out some shops. We had dinner that evening at Tetley's in the Moffet Inn. The atmosphere is very cozy. The food was good. Not great, but we really went there for the fondue experience which we had never done before. We had the cheese fondue appetizer and the surf and turf fondue dinner. We were too full for the chocolate fondue dessert but went back later for it and we were glad we did! After dinner we went on the walking ghost tour. It was a fun way to spend the evening.

Sunday we had breakfast at the Stagecoach. A good greasy spoon type of breakfast - pancakes, bacon & eggs, etc. Did some more shopping around town and drove to some of the wineries. We were very put off by Inniskillin but really enjoyed the smaller wineries - Coyote's Run, Caroline Cellars, and Mary Nissen. Please know that we live in the Finger Lakes area and are surrounded by wineries. We go wine tasting frequently. We aren't wine snobs, but we aren't novice wine drinkers either. We didn't like the "touristy" feel of Inniskillin so we didn't stay. We did taste their wine at one of the wine shops in town and that was a much better experience than the winery itself.

We wanted to do afternoon tea at the Prince of Wales, but when we discovered that it was $32 per person we decided against it. As we were walking and deciding what to do in place of tea, we read the menu at the Buttery and saw that they offered afternoon tea for only $9.99 per person. We decided to try that and sat on the heated patio. It was really nice. They served tea sandwiches, scones, pound cake, pastries, and jam & cream.

We also ended up driving out to the Penn mall in St. Catherine's for some shopping after tea. It is only about 15 minutes from NOTL and its a very nice mall.

That evening we had dinner reservations at the Charles Inn for our anniversary. We arrived and were very impressed with the setting. We got a lovely table and once seated we found out that they were only serving Thanksgiving dinner. What a disappointment! No one had told me this when I made the reservation (and another couple at a table near ours had the same thing happen to them). We decided that we didn't want to have this dinner, but it was already 8:00 PM! The staff was very nice about our decision and reccomended that we try Zee's. They even called ahead to tell Zee's we were coming. We ended up having a nice meal at Zee's, but I wouldn't call it anniversary worthy. Had I known about the fixed menu at the Charles, I would have planned in advance to go somewhere else more romantic than Zee's. It was very disappointing.

Monday we slept late and had lunch at Fourno's before leaving town. We stopped at the Butterfly Conservatory on the way home which was very nice and worth $10 price of admission.

All in all, we had a lovely trip, but I was very disappointed about not being able to have the nice, romantic dinner at the Charles Inn that I had been looking forward to.

Thanks for reading! I know this is rather long....please feel free to let me know if you have questions!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

Hi Annette,

Thanks for posting. So sorry to hear about the reservations with the Charles Inn. Someone should have given you that information so you could have made other plans.

I am glad the Carriage Inn was fine, particularly the location. Perhaps you could post a review if you haven't already for those people who may want to try it.

Again, happy to hear most of your weekend was lovely! Tobie

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

Tobie,

I'd like to post a review of the Carriage Inn, but there is no listing for it on Trip Advisor. Do you know how to get a new listing created?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

I think the only way to make sure you have a review posted for future TA members is to either post one here with "Carriage Inn" as the subject, or add to your own Oct. 5 posting of the same title.

That way at least the information is out there if someone uses the search function with that title. Just NOTL reviews would be too general for someone needing firsthand information.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
943 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

nettie: Why not contact TA and tell them about it? They would then likely set it up.

Niagara on the...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

Peaple are sking how to find information on the carraige inn It is now closed and is a store.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
452 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

Wow - did it just close? We stayed there in October. The restaurant below was closed from the fire they had, but the rooms above seemed fine.

belfast
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

Hi

Loved your review, we are going to nolt in september and will take note of your comments , sorry your romantic meal didnt work out , its really annoying when that happens,anyway it just means you will have to return to rectify it.

many thanks

mickeybo

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

micheybo if you haven't booked already I'd suggest the Riverbend Inn as an outstanding place to stay and the Stone Road Grille as an outstanding place to eat.

9. Re: We're Back from NOTL - Trip Review - Long!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 16:17