We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BC Wines

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
BC Wines

Hello. We are big fans of wine from the Okanagan Valley in BC. Sadly, now that we cannot bring a bottle back in our carry on, we dont get enough of it. Can anyone suggest a place in Southern Ontario where they sell BC wines? Much appreciate the help

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BC Wines

Hiya CanadaRockiesNut,

In Ontario, most of the LCBO stores carry a good selection of Okanagan Valley wines. If the store that's closest to you doesn't have what you're looking for, you can arrange with them to bring it in for you if it's available. Some of the larger stores have what they call Vintages sections, and carry more difficult to find wines. Here's a link to the site, where you can search out your favorites and locate a store.

http://www.lcbo.com/main/en.shtml

http://www.vintages.com/

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BC Wines

Hi CanadaRockiesNut,

LOL, the LCBO is not really in the business of promoting Canadian wines from outside of Ontario... so don't go there expecting a HUGE section devoted to the Okanagan Valley from BC (nor any other Province).

I checked the LCBO Website (typed in the keyword - Okanagan) and got a list of 26 Wines... ranging in price from $ 13.95 for an Inniskillin Okanagan Reserve Chardonnay 2007 up to $ 39.95 for an Osoyoos Larose La Grand Vin 2005 for $ 39.95

Of the list... only 3 Wines are from the LCBO Regular List, and 23 from the Vingtages List (one of which is discontinued). The Vintages List is specialty brought in wines by the LCBO... in this case wines coming in from BC are considered a "specialty" just because they are not the norm here. Other wines (and maybe some even from the lists) could be special because they are select wines, or wines made in small batches.

Also, not all the wines will be available in all locations, or they could be SOLD OUT.

As ONCEAROUND has suggested, I endorse the idea that you check the inventory on-line before heading out to a LCBO Store... the website will tell you what is available where, and how many are in stock (stock numbers are not always current by the way... Inventory on the website doesn't always update daily... in some instances weekly from my experience). Best bet is to call ahead.

Good Luck,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BC Wines

Wine-4-2, maybe you can confirm this. A few years ago we visited PEI and bought some blueberry wine by Rossignol. I tried the LCBO to get some after we returned, and one of the staff said they could order a case for me even though it was not carried in the store. Ever heard of that? If so, it may be possible to order specific wines from BC by the case.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BC Wines

Hi Oncearound,

YES, Canadian Wines (infact any wines from around the world) can be ordered thru the LCBO. The catch....

1- Ya gotta know what it is you want specifically - Winery - Varietal - Wine Name and Vintage Year (best to work with the Winery to get the exact info)... although the Winery cannot ship to you directly, even other Cdn Provinces cannot ship wine across Provincial Boundaries (some archaic rule.. in that alcohol is not allowed to be carried across Provinces... although lets face it most of us do... especially when travelling... rarely enforced... usually if there is a strike in a neighbouring Province, in which case it is possible that a Provincial Police Force can search your car for liquor... Last time I recall such an action would have been between Quebec & Ontario back in the 1970s).

2- Ya don't get any opportunity to pre-taste... not a big issue if like yourself you've travelled and found something you've liked... or had something you enjoyed thru the Vintages Selections, or at a Restaurant who has a non-LCBO listed wine that they are getting thru a wine rep. The latter probably accounts for most situations where people discover a new wine and order it from the LCBO.

3- Ya gotta buy a minimum of a case (12 bottles) so that can get expensive.

4- It is super slow service... expect at least a month, often closer to 3

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... As for Non-Ontarians (ie Travellers) they would have to access the wine thru their own at home local retailers. There are different rules and methods for the various Provinces & States. Importing Wine can be complicated if there are a lot of regulations / red tape. As I say here on the NOTL TRAVEL FORUM... If you taste a wine you like... BUY IT.

5. Re: BC Wines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 06:19