We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shaw Club = Royal Park Hotel?

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Shaw Club = Royal Park Hotel?

All the terrible reviews seem to be from 2007 or earlier & almost all mention the Royal Park. Is this the same place? Did they renovate then change the name, or are they under different management?

How does a place go from getting pretty bad reviews to excellent overnight? I realize some of the bad reviews the people never actually stayed there but rather complained about cancelling & still being charged a cancellation fee but still. Has it really changed this dramatically?

I'd like to stay 2 nights in NOTL & 2 nights in Niagara Falls this June & am confused about this place.

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 15 February 2010, 09:44
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,711 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shaw Club = Royal Park Hotel?

Not sure about ownership, but what was the Royal Park underwent massive renovations in 2006 to become the Shaw Club. Since then, it has received almost unanimously rave reviews, so I wouldn't think that you should have any apprehension about booking there.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
160 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shaw Club = Royal Park Hotel?

The Shaw Club is part of a group called "Niagara's Finest Inns" that also runs the Charles Inn and the Harbour House. I stayed at the Shaw Club just over a week ago and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shaw Club = Royal Park Hotel?

Hi KeithCampbell,

As the DE for NOTL, I have taken your concerns to heart... and want to make sure that you have the best possible info available in making a choice for staying in the Niagara Region.

I can understand your Questioning the fact that this property may have changed hands... but I have a difficult time understaning why you'd be confused as to the properties current standing:

I took a look at the Shaw Club TA's REVIEWS... and noted the following:

Current ranking for NOTL HOTELS is # 2 (out of 12 Hotels). It is a 4 Star Property (as rated by the Hotel Industry) and has a 4-1/2 HOOT TA Member SATISFACTION Rating. There are currently 107 Reviews, the last one written February 9, 2010... and of that 79 gave the Hotel an Excellent and 11 a Very Good... for a TA Thumbs Up Rating of 83%.

Out of interest, I did a little investigating on my own... for 2009 there were 29 Reviews submitted to TA (representing 27% of the 107 Reviews listed for this Hotel) and of the 29 a full 24 (83%) gave this Hotel 5 HOOTS SATISFACTION, 4 Members gave it 4 HOOTS, and 1 Member 3 HOOTS (and that last Member's greatest complaint was that they found the property expensive... after reading their comments... I am under the impression that they didn't do much research on either the property or NOTL and therefore were not prepared for this highend destination).

These are "exceptional" numbers... and clearly the reason that The Shaw Club is both a member of Ontario's Finest Inns, Hotels & Spas = www.ontariosfinestinns.com/ and listed as a CAA / AAA 4-Diamond Award Winner for 2010 (3 years in a row).

Although I cannot speak to what happened in regards to this property when it was the Royal Park Hotel (over 3 Years Ago)... I can assure you that there should be no confusion when it comes to the fact that The Shaw Club is currently one of the finest accommodations in all of Ontario.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shaw Club = Royal Park Hotel?

"Not sure about ownership, but what was the Royal Park underwent massive renovations in 2006 to become the Shaw Club."

Thank you all for your great responses & insights. I wasn't really all that apprehensive regarding this property because I figured it must have underwent renovations. My only confusion was why Royal Park was showing up on so many terrible reviews prior to 2007 then was listed as a CAA / AAA 4-Diamond Award Winner for 2010 (3 years in a row).

My question has been answered & I look forward to visiting with you here while I do more research & receiving some more great advice.

Thanks Wine-4-2 for posting the CAA / AAA award winners for both NOTL & Niagara Falls. It is an invaluable tool in research. As for the complaints about price, when I read that in a review I just stop reading since you are correct that they obviously didn't research it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shaw Club = Royal Park Hotel?

Hi KeithCampbell,

You are very welcome... and will gladly help you with any other Questions. NOTL and the whole Niagara Region is really a stunning destination (and a fabulous one for a couples get-away).

As for "that particular Review"... the writer said she got the room thru a 3rd Party Booking Service... and then went on to say she didn't think it was worth the money (quickly led me to believe that things were outside of her budget... especially her comments about the Restaurant) ... I therefore think that she didn't do her research to understand enough about NOTL as a high-end Destination (Award Winning Accommodations / Restaurants / Spas and Wineries). For although NOTL is a welcoming enough spot for everyone during the daytime (beautiful main street, gorgeous architecture, historical sites)... to stay (Boutique Hotels, Country Inns, B&Bs), eat there (select Restaurants) and play there (Shaw Theatre, Wineries, Art Galleries, Unique Shopping) is certainly expensive... there are certainly "cheaper" alternatives, but they require research (something that TA could have provided to her BEFORE her visit).

Oh well... As we say on TA... "Know BEFORE You Go"

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Niagara, Ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shaw Club = Royal Park Hotel?

Hi there,

I live locally, the Shaw Club used to be called Royal Park before it was massively renovated. The hotel got a new president a little while before the renovations who made some significant improvements to the property over time and not just with renovations.

7. Re: Shaw Club = Royal Park Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake