We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip in January

buffalo
2 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip in January

I was wondering if anyone had opinions or advice for me. I am trying to plan an anniversary weekend at NOTL. I am a medical student, so money is on the tighter side of things but i still want it to be a special weekend. I heard the ice wine festival is in january....does anyone have any info on that, and is NOTL worth visiting in the winter months? Also, I am thinking about doing a winery tour, looking for a spa where we can get a massage, as well as somewhere nice to eat. If anyone has any inexpensive ideas, please let me know. Thanks

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip in January

Hi DrR.

This information is from niagaraonthelake.com:

"For ten days in January the Niagara region is transformed into a wintry wonderland, celebrating one of Canada’s most cherished products, Ontario Icewine. Grape and Wine Partners. www.niagarawinefestival.com "

The dates given are for January 13-22 so you'd have two weekends to choose from. If you were coming from a distance I'd be hesitant about making plans in the winter but since you're likely accustomed to Buffalo driving it won't be a problem just crossing the bridge.

Niagara Falls will be beautiful and Niagara on the Lake very charming in the winter, especially with the ice wine festival on. However, Niagara on the Lake is not inexpensive.

The accomodations are less costly during the week if you check rates but if you can't splurge on a hotel, there are some very nice B&B's that people here have recommended. Check some recent past posts for names, but I think Lakefield is one that was given a very favorable review in the past few weeks. There are many others though.

The spa experience is available at several of the hotels in the area. Some websites to check for prices are below.

~vintageinns.com~innonthetwenty.com

~ontariosfinestinns.com~20valley.ca

The winery and hotel restaurants are given the best reviews with Peller, Hillebrand and The Charles Inn being the most highly recommended. There are however many other restaurants, but many of them are also costly. Most have websites to check menus but Ristorante Giardino, Zees, the Buttery and Stone Road Grille have been mentioned. You might use the search function next to your and type in "restaurants" for some recommendations. Check www.gatehouse-niagara.com

peller.com~hillebrand.com~stoneroadgrille.com

Hope that helps somewhat.

Canada Eh
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip in January

Hi Dr Rowing,

I just saw tonight that a new Hilton opened today in NOTL . They feature nice suites(jacuzzi) I checked the rates today , not that expensive . i could not find package rates though. The name of the hotel is Hilton Garden Niagara on the Lake. The site has a phone number, call them direct and ask about package plans.

Also Niagara falls is pretty cheap right now. I,m booked in at the Hilton Fallview for $249.00CDN , which includes 2 buffet breakfasts and $75.00 CDN off dinner. Thats for a 5 star hotel. NOTL is only about a 20 minute drive from the falls.

Hope this helps

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip in January

Here's the information for the new Hilton. It's near Niagara on the Lake, located just off the QEW between St. Catherines and Niagara Falls. Their website is accessible if you google, but not through Hilton it seems.

<<HILTON GARDEN INN - NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE

500 York Road

Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON

L0S 1J0

905-984-4200

The Hilton Garden Inn is brand new and is conveniently situated between Niagara Falls and Toronto, residing on 6 acres of preserved elegance in the heart of Niagara's glorious wine region. The hotel features 118 guest rooms including 11 deluxe jacuzzi suites. Our full service restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We are pleased to cater to both business and leisure travellers. Families are welcome. Rooms available with the Garden Sleep System by VSS Sleep Systems. Non-smoking and smoking rooms available. Indoor heated pool and whirlpool. We are located 20 km to the town centre of Niagara-on-the-Lake.>>

It would certainly be a less expensive accomodation than NOTL hotels and it's close the Twenty Valley area and Inn on the Twenty if you still wanted to use that hotel for the spa and massage treatments.

All the wineries, and Niagara on the Lake restaurants, would still be very accessible from this location so other than staying in the Falls as an alternative, this might be perfect.

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
708 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip in January

Unless for some reason you want to stay in a Hilton, the one in NOTL wouldn't be my choice. It is located just off the QEW, not really in NOTL but it's address is. So is the Oaks across the Hwy. You would probably spend just as much staying in town and be much happier, like in a cosy B&B in or one of the hotels, OR stay in Niagara Falls and it's just a short drive to NOTL.

I think this Hilton will be more for the traveller who doesn't like HO JO's, and for meetings and conferences. Not really a vacation destination!

Just my opinion though!

Cheers

Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
704 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip in January

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn this past August. It was very nice and clean but a bit out of the way.

We are actually going to the Ice Wine Festival the second weekend and got reservations at The Prince Of Wales for 3 nights @ ONLY $135.00 C per night !!!!! This sounded too good to be true when we read it...but when we called....sure enough we got the reservations.

It's the Ice Wine Festival Special Room Rate. Check it out. Maybe they still have some rooms left.

When we were there in August we walked into this hotel ...and just LOVED it !

Very beautiful, quaint...never thought it would be this cheap during a special event !

Give it a try....best of luck !

6. Re: Planning a trip in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake