We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Wedding in Niagara (Cdn side) or Niagara on the Lake

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Winter Wedding in Niagara (Cdn side) or Niagara on the Lake

My sister is thinking about a wedding in January or February in Niagara or Niagara on the Lake. The wedding size will be sort of small - probably 40 - 80 people.

She and the groom would like a romantic, warm and welcoming setting, good for family and friends, without neglecting their specialness as a couple.

They are in their early 40s, so they are not interested in anything gimmicky or pricey.

Any ideas?

Edited: 26 August 2010, 23:40
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Wedding in Niagara (Cdn side) or Niagara on the Lake

Hi HipMommy99,

And I see you are also a NEW Member to TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Well a wedding in either of these locations would be lovely… BUT they are quite different from one another… NF far more glitzy even having the possibility of going over-the-top (Wed in a Helicopter over The Falls?), while NOTL would be certainly more laid back and quiet (romantic in my mind)… Boutique Hotels, Country Inns, and Wineries. And even in the dead of winter, NOTL looks gorgeous with its interesting architecture and a coat of snow. BUT the one thing that both locations will have in common is EXPENSE.

Neither of these Destinations are inexpensive… Hotels, Food, Halls, Entertainment, and Wedding Resources are going to be EXPEN$IVE (as much if not MORE than in Toronto’s venues).

There are information pages on both of the two City’s Websites…

Niagara Falls (Weddings) = www.niagarafalls.ca/tourism/index.asp

NOTL (Weddings) = niagaraonthelake.com/page/… OR http://tinyurl.com/NOTL-Weddings

Those websites cover the basics, on what you have to know to get the job done (Licenses) etc… and a bit on options etc.

As the Niagara Region is also considered a Wedding Destination… if you do a GOOGLE you’ll find there are several companies (Wedding Planners, Event Planners etc) that specialize in organizing such occasions.

Personally, though (as a Mother of a Bride) I discovered the benefit of a Canadian magazine called Wedding Bells that is dedicated to helping Canadian Brides (a great thing, as most Bridal Magazines come out of the USA). They also have a website and very active Forums where one can join in the discussions… you’ll find Brides to Be, Bridesmaids and Mothers of the Bride, who post… and the greatest part of the success is this website is also much like TripAdvisor, in that past Brides tend to come back and give advice to Brides to Be.

Chances are good that you’ll find there are Brides who have been married in both locations.

Wedding Bells Magazine Website = www.weddingbells.ca

Hope this is helpful,

PS… Personally, I am over 40 and have friends who are getting married for the second time around… they all are looking for a setting quite opposite to their original big weddings… more intimate, and low key. But still classy & special. Based on their likes, I’d have to say that they’d choose NOTL over NF if that is any help.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Wedding in Niagara (Cdn side) or Niagara on the Lake

I think "pricey" is the key word here with your request too. Most venues I can think of will be somewhat costly, though I believe the lesser known wineries in the area do wonderful weddings for much less than the "big names" like Peller and Hillebrand.

You could contact some of the smaller wineries in both the Niagara on the Lake area, and the Twenty Valley area......most have wedding descriptions of some kind on their websites. I'm thinking of one along the lines of Hernder....

Hope that helps get you started with the planning.......

3. Re: Winter Wedding in Niagara (Cdn side) or Niagara on the Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 06:52
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake