We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: Day Trip to NOTL and Wine Tasting

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
TR: Day Trip to NOTL and Wine Tasting

How this trip came about: We, [Mum, Dad and DD20] decided this year that we wanted to revisit New York and San Francisco again, BA had a sale on, and then the trip then evolved into other places we would like to visit, and in the end we came up, with this trip; NYC 4 nights [3rd visit], Boston 3 nights, Niagara Falls 3 nights [Canadian Side], Cedar Point 2 nights, Chicago 3 nights and San Francisco 5 nights [2nd visit], everywhere else were brand new locations we had never visited before.

Onto the TR....we did a day trip from Niagara Falls.

==============

Thurs 1st Sept – Daytrip to Niagara-On-The-Lake

Today we were up earlier, breakfast at hotel and out in the car to NOTL. But not before stopping at the Whirlpool Aero Car we had seen it on the map yesterday and were interested. We got the first tickets of the today [I think], for 10am. It was only us and another couple on the old Spanish car, it was OK, nice views but nothing special. Also while here Dad had seen a leaflet for the Jet Boats, that get you soaked head to toe, Dad and I were quite intrigued but had no change of clothes, and the times didn’t suit us...looking back though I wish we had done it, it probably would of been a lot of fun.

Next I had a list of wineries’, that all made their own Rose [Mum’s favourite] so we stopped at a few on our way to and from NOTL. I believe we first stopped at Inniskillin Wines, then onto Peller where Mum and I tasted their roses, there was a $3 charge per taste, but the man was nice and didn’t charge us. Then we carried on to NOTL, where we parked us and had a little wander around town, saw the Prince of Wales Hotel with the horse drawn carriages outside. Got some fresh fudge from a chocolate shop, which was delicious chocolate peanut butter or something like that. NOTL was very nice, very picturesque; lots of pretty looked after flowers.

We then carried on to more wineries stopping at Sunnybrook, at little shed type place. That was actually more about fruit wines, but did 1 rose [most places only have 1 rose, and maybe a sparkling one too]. Tried a few, and brought the rose, but we still got charged for the tastings as well. The man behind the counter was very friendly as well, and actually came from Milton Keynes, not far away from where we live...small world. Next up was Palatine, which was like a very large warehouse with a poor dog very hot out in the sun where his waterbowl was inside.

Next was lunch, what I was looking forward too...lunch at the Pie Plate Cafe and Bakery. It certainly lived up to its reviews it was delicious one of our best meals of the trip. We had soup to start [I can’t remember the name of it, if anyone knows it was corn based], then Mum and I shared the pear pizza [yummy!] with scissors to cut it! Dad had the strawberry lemonade with was lovely! And the last meat pie of the day [which we’d call a pasty at home]. Then for dessert share a slice of their peach and blackberry which I loved [well we all did] and I’m not a pie person!

One last winery for the day, Pillitteri where the tasting were free, no pressure to buy and we brought their rose they did. Also I never got ID’ed the whole day...surprising. We then headed back to Niagara Falls, stopping at Canada One Outlets but we weren’t very impressed.

Back to the hotel, and chose to go to Sandstone Grill right next door to our hotel for dinner. It doesn’t look like much on the outside, but on the inside was quite nice. The food prices are similar to other NF restaurants, but the food is actually good unlike Vinny’s the previous night.

On the drive back home, my parents had actually realised we were quite close to Niagara Falls so after dinner we walked to the falls, going down Clinton Hill...which we found very tacky. Looked at the falls some more, before calling it a night and heading back to the room.

============

END

Grape Escape Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Bike Tours
Zoom Leisure Bikes
Bike Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: Day Trip to NOTL and Wine Tasting

Thanks for posting emma. You managed to pack a lot into your day and it sounded like all of you had a good time!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: Day Trip to NOTL and Wine Tasting

Hi Emmaxoxo,

Welcome BACK to the NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE TRAVEL FORUM

Thanks for taking the time to write such a Great TripReport… I am sure it will go a long way to helping other Travellers who are considering a visit to the area.

Sounds like you had a fabulous day Winery Touring… and nice to see you mixed things up a bit when it came to size of the operations (Big CORPS – Medium – Small / Family Run) that always makes for a better experience in my opinion and truer representation of what the Niagara Wine Region has to offer

The Pie Plate for lunch… good choice… if you haven’t already drafted up a REVIEW… do take a minute or two to do so… as more folks will read those than ever look at the FORUMS for their Trip Planning needs…

TA - The Pie Plate = tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g154999-d79…

Lol… Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls... there is no middle ground here… either you love it or you don’t. You and I are on the same-page… very tacky !! I think it detracts from the true beauty of The Falls… but then again I’m not a young-mom trying to keep two small kiddies entertained while on vacation (kids don’t exactly warm up to sightseeing)… nor am I at a loss for things to see and do in the region on a bad-weather day… which is when Clifton Hill really racks in the coin… but even then… the majority of their customers are folks who haven’t done much research… many never coming to realize that there is a whole world away down The Falls Gorge… it always boggles my mind when I meet folks who have visited the area, but never gone farther than The Rainbow Bridge… (missed out on the Niagara Parkway – Spanish Aerocar – Butterfly Conservatory – Niagara JetBoats – Historic NOTL etc).

Speaking of the JetBoats… there are actually 2 Versions that go out of NOTL … one that is open aired (and folks do get absolutely SOAKED) and a second version that has a cover ~ Jet Dome… the latter one is a good choice if you didn’t bring along a bathing suit / change of clothes.

Niagara Whirlpool JetBoats = http://www.whirlpooljet.com/

Again, thanks for sharing your day with us… hope you make plans to return some time.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 07 October 2011, 19:12
3. Re: TR: Day Trip to NOTL and Wine Tasting

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake