We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Niagara-on-the-Lake Visit

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Niagara-on-the-Lake Visit

I've been going there for years, always doing a lunch, theatre, dinner combo. Yesterday I went with friends to just do the town without any theatre. We had a wonderful day with perfect weather to match.

We started by going to 3 wineries, not for the tours as we've done that but just for the wine tasting and look around. There are so many to choose from. We went to a small family operated winery first, then to 2 other larger ones. They were all totally different but each interesting in its own way. It's a fun thing to do. Some are free, some charge for wine tasting, some charge for tours.

Next we drove into town to the waterfront where we haven't gone before and looked for a place for lunch. The New Italian Place (that's the name of the restaurant) at the Anchorage opposite the marina was recommended by a local so we went there for lunch on the terrace. The food was excellent and it was not too pricey. I preferred eating there to being on the main street in the town.

After lunch we drove around the streets near the lake and saw some beautiful huge homes. We stopped in a park area by the lake and it was so relaxing and refreshing by the water.

Next we went to the main street to get some fudge at The Fudge Store at the end of town away from the main theatre. They make the fudge there and you mustn't miss it. Lots to choose from.

We wandered from store to store on the street and they are all worth a look. Many unique stores that you don't see everywhere.

Whether you buy or just browse it's a fun place to wander around.

There are flowers and gardens everywhere you look and are amazingly beautiful even now when the flowers are just in their early stages.

Our next stop for coffee was a drive back away from town on the main road to another recommended place by another local called The Pie Plate Bakery & Cafe (1516 Niagara Stone Rd.) in Virgil. All the pastries are home baked right there and are excellent. A great find!

We had originally planned on dining at the Stone Grill on Stone Rd. but we weren't hungry enough for a big meal so we went to The Buttery for a light snack instead.

All in all we spent a delightful day in Niagara-on-the-Lake and would highly recommend it to anyone not just as a place to see on the way home from Niagara Falls but for a day's outing in itself.

Toronto
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Niagara-on-the-Lake Visit

Goldie, I see that you had lunch at the restaurant at the Anchorage. Do you (or anyone reading this post) know anything about the motel rooms there? Any reports would be appreciated.

Thanks!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Niagara-on-the-Lake Visit

Thanks for your report on Niagara on the Lake. i hope to go there again soon, and now will check out the bakery you recommended.

Thanks again.

3. Re: Niagara-on-the-Lake Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake