We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilkes-Barre...
2 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

Hi,

I am a graduating college student and am planning a road trip with my boyfriend.

I am planning a road trip. My main stops are as follows:

1. Niagara Falls / Niagara on the Lake

2. Toronto

3. Gananoque

4. Montreal

5. NYC

We are planning on staying one-two nights at each stop. We enjoy wine tasting, trying food, museums and general sight seeing. We do not want to spend too much money, our budget is probably couple thousand.

I was wondering a few things

1. What are the best wineries in Niagara on the Lake

2. What are the best B&Bs in Niagara on the Lake

3. What are the best B&Bs in Gananoque

4. Great places to eat in any of the locations mentioned above

5. Is there anywhere to stop from Montreal to NYC- it is a 6hr drive and I was wondering if there are any attractions to stop see and break it up.

Also, any suggestions or things to do that anyone can suggest!

Thanks!

Edited: 26 February 2014, 20:09
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,143 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Andrea;

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Toronto is Canada’s largest city, 4th largest in North America after Mexico City, New York, & Los Angeles. You could spend an entire week in Toronto and still have plenty to see and do !

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

Two days in Toronto and Montreal might be cheating yourself....

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

Unless you have two weeks and lots of money to spend, I think you are taking on too much to do/see in one trip..then again you are young and full of energy-correct ?

Edited: 26 February 2014, 22:34
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

Persoanlly I think a couple of thousand will get you a GREAT trip.

Give more detail on your likes, arts and culture or sports or outdoors etc.

ALso confirm how long you have.

If you like wineries there is also a growing wine area in Prince Edward Couny (just south of Belleville) which is about 1 hr west from Gananoque.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

I just thought of something. As we pass through your town wehn we go south.

What route are you taking? Where are you planning on crossing into Canada? If you go straight north you will enter Canada near Gananoque, it will then be a 3hr drive west to Niagara.

Wilkes-Barre...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

I am leaving from Wilkes Barre, PA. I believe the directions I saw had me taking 86, 390, 90, and 290 into Niagara Falls, which is where we plan on entering Canada.

We are 22 and 23, so we love going out and tasting wines and beers. We are both open to all different foods and cultures. We love trying new foods. We enjoy pretty much anything. As it is May, doing outside activities would be acceptable. We also like nature walks and sight seeing. We aren't too huge into art and museums but we do visit them when we travel. Monument sight-seeing. Our main goal is to see as much as we can. Anything and everything really. We also want to see as much as we can between the cities as well. Obviously I know we won't be able to see everything in each city, but we just want to enjoy ourselves in new places!

We have two weeks, but with our budget we were thinking a city every two days and that would give us about 10 days.

Thanks for your help :)

Edited: 28 February 2014, 18:18
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

You haven't said when this trip is to take place.

For info on wineries in and around the Niagara area:

http://winecountryontario.ca/

The "best" B&B's are likely to be more than your budget can afford. For listings of B&B's in the Niagara and Gananoque areas, check BB Canada and also reviews here on TA in the specific forums.

http://www.bbcanada.com/ontario

You are in the NOTL forum - for info on the cities and areas you plan to visit go to those forums.

I also agree that you are attempting to see too much in too little time.

Niagara, Ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

Hi Andrea,

What month do you plan on doing the trip? For wineries in Niagara on the Lake I really recommend Peller, Trius, and Colaneri. If you are coming during the warmer months I would also recommend looking at Southbrook and Jackson-Triggs as they do patio fare so you can have a light lunch overlooking their vineyards.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
42 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

I agree with the above wineries, they will give you a nice selection of good wines and an intro to niagara! If you like to go off the beaten path, we also enjoy coyotes run, stratus ($$ but worth it) and ravine. Trius and Peller have great tours and tasting. We live close and we do Trius tours all the time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip NEPA-Niagra-Toronto-Montreal-NYC

In post 6 she said they are coming in May

Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake