We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall foliage after thanksgiving

Which Niagara-on-the-Lake hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Fall foliage after thanksgiving

Hi fellow Canucks,

I am heading to Toronto for a business trip the weekend after Thanksgiving - do you think the area around Niagara-on-the-Lake is a good spot for viewing Fall Foliage?

I read about the micro climate near the Niagara Gorge and really hope that it won't be too cold mid Oct. What a snowy Winter this past year!

If there is a better spot closer to Toronto that you will recommend, please let me know. Thanks.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall foliage after thanksgiving

The advantage of the more southern micro-climate of Niagara is that the leaves tend to turn later there than in other parts of the province. The same holds true in the city where the foliage is quite spectacular in the many parks, residential neighbourhoods, & ravines So the odds are probably in your favour. Even where I live - north east along the lake, the leaves are rarely at their "peak" at Thanksgiving.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall foliage after thanksgiving

The colours should be bright and vibrant around Thanksgiving...,maybe not at their peak, but pretty close to their peak...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,584 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall foliage after thanksgiving

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but although Niagara has a micro climate, I've been there on a Thanksgiving weekend, and it was freezing!.........so it can really be anyone's guess what Mother Nature throws at us at any given time...of course, I've worn shorts on Thanksgiving weekend too............ahh, Ontario..is there anyplace you'd rather be :)

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall foliage after thanksgiving

No place else in October ... but February ... well ... yes.

Even if it is cold the leaves will still be there ... and having lived in Calgary for 5 years I can tell you the thing I missed most was not having fall foliage like we have here ... fall colours in Alberta just don't make the grade.

5. Re: Fall foliage after thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake