We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving options

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Driving options

I am just tying up loose ends for our arrival on Sat to Niagara on the Lake, staying at the Britaly. We are driving from Buffalo airport and need an opinion on which route to take. Should we come in on 190 or the QEW? I can’t get a feel of scenery or driving conditions from my Google map. Would appreciate any input from the great locals who post on this sight. We are leaving from Embassy Suites on Tues to drive to NYC and assume we will cross the Peace Bridge while leaving. Thanks for your help

Mentioned in this post
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Ontario, Canada
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Embassy Suites by Hilton Niagara Falls Fallsview Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton...
9,940 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
719 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving options

Since you are going to NOTL, then I would suggest the 190 to Queenston Lewiston bridge. From there it is just a short drive to NOTL from there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving options

Both the QEW and the 190 are good options. However, be aware of the bridges and how different the crossing times may be at any point. As Fallschic pointed out, the 190 makes more sense when coming out of the Buffalo airport (East Buffalo), but the Queenston/Lewiston bridge can be nightmarish at times. If you have access to a computer at the airport, use this link:

www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html

If not, tune to 610AM...they give border crossing reports every 30 minutes.

Taking the QEW will save you $.75 in tolls ... (it all depends on penny pinching you want to get).

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving options

Thank you for the insight on wait times. I suspect we will be leaving the airport, after car pickup, about 4:30-5 on this Sat. Is one bridge better or worse for Saturday traffic? I won't have access to a computer, but I can listen to the radio.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving options

If you really want to avoid delays, you're better off going to the Peace Bridge. However, the Peace Bridge can get backed-up too (every Sunday the Bills play in Orchard Park -- for example). If you know for a fact that the Queenston/Lewiston bridge is clear, it is your best bet. Otherwise, if you're winging it, take the Peace Bridge. Saturdays are probably the quietest border crossing days.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving options

Thanks again, since we aren't in a rush, will take the 190 going and Peace Bridge coming back!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving options

Sounds like a plan!

Good luck, and enjoy your holidays!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving options

Some more tips...

Regardless of which bridge you're crossing or in which direction, if they're backed-up, ALWAYS stay on the right lane. The bridges open up to the right as you approach the customs booths. In other words, if you stay on the right lane, you'll be able to keep switching lanes to the right and joining shorter lines. It's hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean when you see it. This could save you 30+ mins if the bridge is backed-up.

One more...

On your way back (from the falls), you'll be able to see how busy the Rainbow bridge is. If it's reasonably clear, take it. You'll get some pretty good views of the falls from the bridge's right lane.

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
1,491 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving options

jiec, Thanks for the tips! IF the Rainbow bridge is busy on the way back, what are my options?

We plan to be on the road by 8:30 on Tues am-would adjusting that time make any difference?

Leaving at noon today--Woo-hoo!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
1,491 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving options

You have the same three options at any time from the Niagara Region. They are:

Peace Bridge: Buffalo/Fort Erie

Rainbow Bridge: Niagara Falls, NY/Niagara Falls, ON

Queenston/Lewiston Bridge.

If you're already in Niagara Falls, it would only make sense to use the Rainbow or the Peace Bridge because you'd have to drive north to Queenston only to come back down south to Buffalo if you use the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Erie
Erie
Pennsylvania
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
1,491 Reviews
Niagara Falls, Canada
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
719 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving options

The only reason I don't recommend the Peace Bridge /QEW to NOTL is there isn't a direct way off the hwy. You have to give them directions to Glendale , hwy 55 on so on. The time saved may be spent being lost. Besides, the parkway is much more scenic! It's too bad they couldn't have made a hwy exit to the 405, but it just isn't feesable.

cheers all, and have a great trip Grammy!

Get answers to your questions about Niagara-on-the-Lake