We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Chateau Laurier to Scotiabank Place

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
8 posts
Save Topic
Transport from Chateau Laurier to Scotiabank Place

Staying at Chateau Laurier, going to 3pm Senators v Thrashers game this Saturday (Feb. 17). I'm assuming I'll have to take a taxi to get to/from the game. Two questions: 1) what should I expect to pay each way for a taxi (2 people), and 2) any other transportation ideas going to/from?

As an option, our flight is arriving into Ottawa at 11:10 am Saturday morning and we would not mind heading directly to Scotiabank area (versus to the hotel) if there are restaurants/activities near Scotiabank that could fill up a couple of hours.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
671 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Chateau Laurier to Scotiabank Place

The airport, the Chateau Laurier and the Scotiabank Place are basically all at opposite ends of the city.

It would be about 30 mins from the airport to the Chatuea Lauier, from the Chateau Laurier to the Scotiabank Place is about 30-45 mins.

Also, note traffic around Scotiabank place close to game time can be quite heavy, meaning you'll sit in a cab accumulating fare.

I would recommend renting a car and driving all the places you need to go.

There are restaurants near the Scotiabank Place but not within walking distance and there aren't really any activities close by.

Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Chateau Laurier to Scotiabank Place

Chateau Laurier is a fine downtown hotel but is not near "the Bank" and I love staying there when I am in Ottawa - near the canal for skating - winterlude is on and restaurants etc.

To minimize time getting to the game, from the Chateau I would take the public bus. There are special buses going to the game leaving from across the street from your hotel (Rideau and Sussex). http://tinyurl.com/35evf4 There are special bus lanes in Ottawa so you will find it will be the quickest way to/from the game. After the game there will be several buses going back to downtown. Just ask on your way there what time the last one leaves for downtown.

Except for restaurants there isn't much else to do at the Bank (Scotia Bank place).

Closer to the game (but not as much to do as downtown) would be the Holiday Inn select or the Brookstreet http://www.brookstreetresort.com/ both in Kanata

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Chateau Laurier to Scotiabank Place

Assuming no serious traffic delays and a modest tip, C$50 should cover the taxi journey each way.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Chateau Laurier to Scotiabank Place

Or you can consider taking the OC Transpo shuttle (route 403) its 3.00$ each way per person or you can use bus tickets. The shuttle starts at just after 1:30 pm and leaves quite frequently after that.

The closest bus stop is at the rideau centre which is just across the street. Proceed to the mall to the Mackenzie King Bridge where u can get the bus.

The bus number is 403

I reccommed you use the travel planner on www.octranspo.com

type in the address of the Chateau (1 rideau st)

click landmark and choose arena and pick scotiabank place.

it'll ask you for a date and time and then it will produce detailed instructions on how to get there :D its a great service.

There are special bus lanes so u actually can arrive faster than taking a taxi and it'll save you money.

As for ideas u can drop off your luggage at the hotel, shop a bit in the rideau centre or grab something to eat then head out on the bus.

There are also a few restaurants in scotiabank place, but they can be expensive.

Melissa

Atlanta
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Chateau Laurier to Scotiabank Place

Follow up to trip: loved Ottawa, Rideau Canal was awesome, and the hockey was great even if the Thrashers lost. Took the bus to/from the airport, and to/from Scotiabank from the Chateau Laurier. Transportation cost for two people was about $12 total for the entire weekend - incredible. Although standing at the bus stop when it was around -20 degrees celsius was a unique experience for the folks from the South.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
972 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Chateau Laurier to Scotiabank Place

Hi there,

So glad to hear that you had a good time in Ottawa, and that you managed to navigate our transit system, including the waiting, which is the least favorite part of our daily commute.

Your genuine Canadian winter experience has given you bragging rights.

Go Sens Go!

:)

7. Re: Transport from Chateau Laurier to Scotiabank Place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 00:17