We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
166 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

My husband and I are planning t a trip to Ottawa in July and planning to spend 2 days at the Cisco Bluesfest and a few days exploring the city..Parliament buildings, the Market, Art Museum. We'd like to walk to as much as possible and would prefer to be in a good area for dining and shopping. Any suggestions for the best place to stay? We've looked at the Albert at Bay Suite hotel as it's close to the Bluesfest site and also the Lord Elgin as it's closer to the other sites. As firt time visitors, we need help with our choice.

Thanks

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

Both are good choices. Another hotel adjacent to the Albert & Bay Suites is the Radisson.

I'd probably choose the Albert & Bay location over Elgin Street. While there will likely be shuttle buses or the like out of LeBreton Flats after evening shows, there will be great crowds and a 10 or 15 minute walk would be preferable. The location is reasonable for Parliament Hill and the other places you want to see. All that you are missing at the Albert and Bay location is nightlife, but presumably the Bluesfest is providing that.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

Hi.

A nice place to shop and have dinner is the Sparks Street Mall. It is an out door mall... very pretty.

http://www.sparksstreetmall.com/home.htm

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

Thanks. That really helps.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

No problem.

Have a great time!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

I don't like to dampen northern decorator's enthusiasm for the Sparks Street Mall, but the general view of the Mall amongst Ottawans is that it is a dismal failure. All the decent shops moved or closed when the Rideau Centre was built and there are no restaurants of note. The only time it shows life is weekday lunch hours when the weather is nice, and the office workers come out in droves.

There was great hope that the new CBC Ottawa studios would bring some life back to the mall. While you can look into the studios from the Mall, the main entrance is Queen Street. The only door on Sparks Street is the fire exit.

The latest idea to rejuvenate the Mall is to re-install the streetcar tracks, pulle up 40+ years ago. The other idea is to admit it is a failure and allow traffic back on it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

If you are walking, I would recommend Lord Elgin Hotel vice Albert at Bay. The Elgin is closer to everything including the Bluesfest stages.

Also, Elgin Street has many good restaurants on it. Check this site for user reviews of the places to eat in Ottawa:

restaurantthing.com/ottawa/restaurants_list_… and for dining places all over ,including Ontario and Ottawa ,check

http://www.restaurantica.com/

Ottawa, ON
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

I second the fact that Sparks street is nothing to write home about... With the exception of during the Busker festival... Its just a dead walk...

The Lord Elgin is 13 or 14 blocks from the Bluesfest Stages... Bluesfest has moved away from Festival Plaza to the Lebreton Flats opposite the War Museum...

The Albert at Bay is a great choice near the Bluesfest site but is a long walk to the Market or the Canal. They are also close enough to the other attractions

The Lord Elgin, Chateau Laurier, Westin are all within walking distance of Parliament Hill, War Memorial, Rideau Centre, and the Market but you'll most likely want to take a bus to Bluesfest from them.

I recommend Arc the Hotel pretty modern place and smack dab in the middle of everything...

8. Re: Hotel for Bluesfest and dining, shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 05:25