We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
9 posts
Save Topic
Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

Hi, this will be our first time in Canada and USA. We will be in Ottawa for 4 days, going to Niagara Falls for 1 day and then travel on to New York for 6 days which includes a trip to Woodbury Premium outlet.

Could I have some advice on how we could travel between these places, where we could put up (budget hotels preferred) and the must sees and must dos to include in our itinerary.

Thanks!!

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

What time of year are you planning to travel?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

Hello. Glad you picked Canada and a few cities in the province of Ontario for your visit. My first question to you would be have you looked at any information on this website? A good place to start is the Ottawa and Canada Overview. Then look at the hotel reviews. In that way you can narrow it down to places that interest you and approximate prices of hotels.

Just to let you know it's about a 6 hour drive to Niagara Falls from Ottawa.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

If you only took 6 hours to drive from Ottawa to Niagara Falls, this must be along the 400 series and the QEW without any stops and no traffic tie ups, going the speed limit or slightly above.

Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

...and good luck not hitting traffic on the 401/QEW :)

Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

Hello to all!

Yes, I have been reading alot here to try to figure my way about but I am overwhelmed by the tons of info! So I thought maybe a specific thread would help me narrow things down.

We will be here in Oct.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

What is your budget per day, including for hotels, food, and transportation?

How many people are you travelling with? Are there are any children and if yes how old are they?

What are your flight plans? Are you flying into and leaving from Ottawa? Or are you flying to Ottawa but leaving from New York?

By New York, do you mean New York City?

And finally, to travel around here, are you planning on renting a car or taking a bus or train to get to Niagara Falls and New York?

Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

My budget for the entire trip is US$6K. Not sure if this is enough! We are a couple on honeymoon, no kids yet.

We will be flying in and leaving from Ottawa and yes, I am referring to NYC. My preferred mode would be bus or train but I do not rule out flying to NYC if the other 2 modes are too troublesome and the price difference is not too great.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
967 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

Since you are arriving and departing from Ottawa, you will have to factor in the time it takes to get from point A to B to C and back to A again.

As has already been mentioned, it will take you at least 6 hours, and likely longer, to travel from Ottawa to Niagara; besides the time factor, there are also aspects such as fatigue, frustration and expense (rental car and gas, if you choose to go that route) to consider.

There are relatively low-cost flights available through Porter Air, which would take you to downtown Toronto; from there, you could take a train or bus on to Niagara Falls. Via Rail has two departures per day; there is a bus roughly every hour or so. The bus terminal is a short taxi ride from the Porter air terminal; the Porter shuttle will drop you next to the train station.

AMTRAK has a train that runs from Niagara Falls ON to NYC; the travel time is 11h15. I suspect you were hoping to drive, and stop at the Woodbury Premium Outlet on the way. According to the Woodbury website, there are daily excursions out of NYC, and there may be public transit access as well.

Your last leg would involve a train from NYC to Montreal, then Via Rail back to Ottawa (unless you can arrange a low-cost flight from Mtl to Ottawa). You would have to factor in a last night in Ottawa before flying home.

All of these entities have excellent websites; you could cost out the itinerary and compare it to the cost of renting a vehicle (including cost of gas and time involved), and weigh the pros and cons of each.

As for accomodation, that could be the subject of another thread.

Have fun!

Linda

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
876 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

Hi,

From Ottawa to Niagara Falls, I think will be closer to 7 or 8 hours, depending on traffic and how much you stop.

If you do want to stop, downtown Kingston is really nice, and you could have lunch in an outdoor cafe or similar.

You could easily fill a day (or 3) in Toronto, if you are so inclined.

1 Day should be enough to get everything in at Niagara Falls.

To get from Ottawa to Niagara Falls, if you aren't driving, the train is a convenient way to go. You'll have just one connection in Toronto.

To get from Niagara Falls to NYC, the train would go back to Toronto and then to NYC. It will take a full day.

To get from NYC to Ottawa again, the train would take a full day and you'd connect in Montreal.

If your budget allows, you could fly from Toronto to NYC and then NYC to Ottawa. Flights are less than an hour and a half each way, and realistically shouldn't be much more money than the train. That way you save 2 days of travelling and can fit more sightseeing in.

I have places to stay in Toronto and Niagara, so I don't know about the hotels there.

In Manhattan, I usually stay at the Ramada New Yorker. It's a 1920s art-deco budget hotel. It isn't fancy, but it's clean and comfortable. It's right next to Madison Square Garden and Macy's, theres lots of food around, your close to the Empire State Building, and 10-15 minute walk to Times Square and the theatre district. I've been to the hotel about 6 or 7 times, and it hasn't failed me yet.

Hope this all helps.

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,613 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ottawa to Niagara Falls to New York

We just drove from Niagara Falls to Ottawa last weekend. 5 hours to get there on Friday through Ontario, and 5 1/2 hrs. to return on Sunday through New York.

Also, don't know what you're going to do in Ottawa for 4 days, we did everything we could find in 2.