We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine dining in Ottawa

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fine dining in Ottawa

Some friends and I will be in Ottawa for a wedding in late August. We have one free night on Sunday and would like to have a nice meal. I have searched the internet listings and come up with several.

Beckta Dining & Wine

Eighteen

Social-

Wilfred’s

Le Baccara

Juniper Kitchen and Wine Bar

Are there others I should consider and should I rule any of the above out? We are staying at the Chateau Laurier. For that reason, I may want to forego Wilfred's for the mere reason we want to leave the hotel. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine dining in Ottawa

Hello,

I would recommend Wilfred's, you can't go wrong there!

I hope you enjoy ...where ever you end up having dinner!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine dining in Ottawa

Of the above listed, I cast my votes for Beckta and Juniper. Just ate at Juniper a few weeks ago and it was terrific. The service is prompt and friendly and the food is amazing. It's a very "happening" restaurant that has just re-opened in a larger, funkier location. And it's in Westboro, which is a nice neighbourhood.

Beckta is a little more romantic, but also a really hot restaurant here. It's very well regarded in Ottawa. I would definitely call ahead for a reservation.

Two other suggestions would be:

Sweetgrass -- It's a wonderful little bistro in the Byward Market (on Murray Street, I think). Cozy and comfortable, with delicious food which is Aboriginal-influenced. You could easily walk from the Chateau.

Les Fougeres -- Probably my favorite restaurant in the region. It's just over the river in Chelsea, Quebec (probably about 15 minutes cab ride from downtown). In a renovated old house with a giant wraparound screened porch surrounded by a lovely country garden. The food is locally inspired so it would be a terrific "Canadian" dining experience. Really nice wine list too.

If you google either of the above restaurants, you will find lots of reviews.

Hope you have a wonderful visit.

Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine dining in Ottawa

Of those you list, I have only been to Social and I would not recommend it. It is very "trendy" (not that elegant) and the food is so so at best.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fine dining in Ottawa

Beckta is a terrific place to go for dinner. The food is excellent and the service is splendid. They also have a terrific wine menu.

They also have a "taster menu", where the chef will make 5 small courses for you. For an additional sum (I cannot remember how much), they will match a wine with each course. It's expensive, but a great dining experience. Do make reservations.

I've never been to Le Baccara, but many claim it to be the region's best restaurant (and the prices reflect that). I have never met a single person who had a bad experience there. Reservations are necessary.

Eighteen and Social are o.k., but I wouldn't classify them as fine dining. If you're looking for similar but better fare, you may wish to try Domus or the Black Cat, which are also in the market and near Sweetgrass. BTW, Sweetgrass is quite nice and the food is very good.

One final suggestion is The Whalesbone on Bank Street near Gladstone. It's not a great location and the restaurant is quite small and rustic. The seafood is excellent, especially the oysters. It's a bit on the expensive side, but on the positive you don't need to dress up to go there. Reservations definitely required.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
219 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine dining in Ottawa

Here are some sites where patrons review Ottawa's eateries:

restaurantthing.com/ottawa/restaurants_list_…

www.restaurants.com/World/WorldCity.asp…

Alabama
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine dining in Ottawa

Thanks for all the responses. They were very helpful. I will look at the suggestions that were not on my list. Thanks again.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine dining in Ottawa

recently ate at the new junipers, my experience was not so good. The service was mediocre and inconsistent at best. The food though somewhat interesting, comes in very small portions. Also note that it is located in westboro, which is about a 15 minute drive out of downtown ottawa. Also it's new location is adjacent to a car dealer, so one half of restaurant overlooks the dealer's car lot.

In the same area there are some other pretty good restaurants, e.g. absynthe. In the market area you may also want to try metropolitan (across the street from chateau laurier).

8. Re: Fine dining in Ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 15:18