We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ottawa- NYC by bus or train?

Salamanca
3 posts
Save Topic
Ottawa- NYC by bus or train?

Hello,

I will be studying in Ottawa next fall and, as I have to cross the Athlantic Ocean, I would also like to visit NYC.

Does somebody know if there is a bus or train I can take and its price? Thanks a lot

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ottawa- NYC by bus or train?

Hi flipemon,

Ottawa is a long way from NYCity (about 10 hours by car). You indeed have the option of a bus or a train, for both of them you'll need to get to Montreal.

BY BUS - Take a Greyhound Bus to Montreal's Bus Station, from there you'll be able to get a bus to NYCity... it probably won't be direct, I would think that it might make a few stops along the way.

BY TRAIN - You can take a VIA Train from Ottawa to Montreal's Central Station. From there you'll be able to take an Amtrak Train to NYCity. Again it won't be direct. I myself have done this. Amtrak runs a couple of trains a day... my favourite is the overnighter. You leave Montreal late in the day and arrive in NYCity early in the morning. I went coach (it might all be coach), so I didn't get a lot of sleep, but I did get to snooze once and again.

A THIRD OPTION - Is to wait and see if the Student Union at the school you'll be attending has any trips. Sometimes there are organized weekend trips to places... the price will be good and you'll get to travel with people your own age, so you'll meet some new people.

Another thing, is once you are here you can pick up a copy of the Saturday "Ottawa Citizen" (Ottawa's daily newspaper) and look for the ads in the Travel Section. There are several Ottawa companies that organize weekend bus trips to popular destinations. If you are on a strict budget this option could be the most costly of the lot, but on the otherhand it is all-inclusive... transportation, hotel, food, entertainment (perhaps a Broadway play in NYCity). So it would be a convenient way to see a city on a short stay.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ottawa- NYC by bus or train?

For the bus, you can go to www.greyhound.ca, put in Ottawa and New York, and it'll figure out the routings for you. Almost all go through Montreal; fare is a little under $200.

For the train, you'd want www.viarail.ca (Ottawa-Montreal) and www.amtrak.com (Montreal-New York). But it looks like Amtrak currently only runs one train a day, during the day. On the way back your connection to the last train back to Ottawa would be a tight one. Total fare is about $170 with student discounts.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ottawa- NYC by bus or train?

My inlaws just took the train from Montreal-NYC. NEVER AGAIN. They said it was horrible. It takes the "Milk Run". Bus believe it or not is faster. Rent a car or fly.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ottawa- NYC by bus or train?

Hi flipemon;

New York City is approx. 445 miles / 710 km from Ottawa.

Best Regards

Salamanca
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ottawa- NYC by bus or train?

OK, thank you all very much for the information. The journey seems quite tedious...does anyboody know a cheap-flight company with wich I can book a flight?

6. Re: Ottawa- NYC by bus or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Ottawa