We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visit..maybe

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brewerton, New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visit..maybe

Don't mean to offend, but wondering if the citizens of Ottawa are friendly towards US citizens?

ottawa
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

Despite what ever they think politically or negative generalizations some Canadian's may have about Americans, very few of these Canadians would be openly rude to an American tourist.

Just don't call us the Green State or ask about our igloos ; )

In general people from Ottawa may have more reserved manner than elsewhere, which should not be neccessarily be intrepretated as a sign that they don't like you or that you're not welcome.

The weather is cold here: we warm up slowly ; )

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,694 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

Hi;

How would anyone even know that your an American ?

How RUDE !

Best Regards

Brewerton, New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

lol. I thought we stood out like sore thumbs...sorry...really, honestly didn't mean anything bad by that....

Brewerton, New York
Level Contributor
166 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

It's cold here too....but I love Canada!

ottawa
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

With your apologetic manner, you'll blend in perfectly. ; )Canadians say "sorry" all the time if it's our fault or not.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

Ottawa gets plenty of American visitors and would like to keep it that way. If you're asking if people will turn hostile when they hear an American accent, absolutely not.

Like any international travel, there are ways to wear out your welcome, e.g. loudly compare everything to something back home or assume the people you meet share your political views. Spending American cash is also a hassle for merchants (and usually a bad deal for you), so get some Canadian cash or use your credit cards.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

When I lived in Ottawa in the '80s I actually saw for sale in stores t-shirts reading "American Tourist in Canada". Imagine that anywhere else in the world.

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

Bonjour!

I work in Ottawa and live in the Outaouais area (Quebec). Tourists from any country are welcomed here and will be treated with warm welcomes. Beware, very cold here, and bring good boots: the sidewalks may be slippery. So don't worry, you will LOVE it!

Troy,NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

We have been to Ottawa several times. Found everyone EXTREMELY friendly and helpful!

10. Re: First Time Visit..maybe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 15:19