We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

I found info about this hotel in a 2006 forum. Just wanted any feedback about whether the Cartier Place is still a good choice and a good choice for the festival.

Is this festival any thing like the jazzfest in New Orleans?

Thanks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,777 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

Hi mbmrLongIsland;

If you haven't already, you can read the hotel's reviews here on TripAdvisor.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155004-d182973…

I see that it is rated #6 of 54 hotels in Ottawa.

Best Regards

Ontario
Level Contributor
124 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

Cartier Place would be a good location, and a bit cheaper than the bigger hotels. You'd be able to walk to the down town attractions.

The Jazz Festival is not that big. I think it's the Blues Festival in July that is the bigger music festival.

ottawa
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

Cartier Place is about a 5 minute walk from the the main Jazz fest location at Confederation Park.

Jazzfest is one of those festivals you don't really notice is going on unless you walk by the park. The upshot of this is that there are less tourist crowds filling up restaurants, attractions etc.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
613 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

Good choice of location. Quiet neighbourhood, 5 minute walk from the festival and 2 minute walk to all the bars/restaurants on Elgin St or a 10 minute walk to the market (shopping, bars, restaurants etc.)

Medicine Hat, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

I stayed recently at the Cartier Place Hotel in the downtown core of Ottawa and IMO it would be a great location to stay during the Jazz Fest. The hotel is a very short walk to Confederation Park and there are many resturants and bars along Elgin Street to frequent. The hotel rooms were spacious and very clean along with free wireless internet, underground parking, a gym and a pool/whirlpool.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

Hi MbmrLongIsland,

As already stated the Ottawa Jazz Festival (June 25th thru July 5th) is one of Ottawa's many excellent music festivals although it certainly is somewhat overshadowed by the much bigger Bluesfest (July 8th thru 19th)... neither of which I'd compare to anything in New Orleans. (Infact many blues fans complain regularly that the Bluesfest is now a misnomer, in that it truly is a Music Festival more than a Bluesfestival, in that it brings in a variety of acts beyond Blues... such as Kiss this year).

For info on both festivals see their respective websites at www.ottawajazzfestival.com and www.ottawabluesfest.ca

As for the Cartier Place, this is one of the many Apartment / Suites style hotels in Ottawa... popular particularly with "contractors" working for / with the Federal Government (Ministerial Staff, Lobbyists, etc) and families visiting Ottawa on vacation. The "suites" typically offer seperate bedrooms, a full kitchen and a living-dining area. I believe the hotel also offers traditional non-suite rooms as well.

Other amenities at the Hotel include Pool, Whirlpool, Fitness Centre and Sauna. There is also an on-site restaurant Cafe Mezzaluna (which gets good reviews on various Ottawa Restaurant Review Websites including TA).

As already mentioned the Cartier Place Hotel is centrally located, a 5 minute walk from the Canal and Elgin Street, 10 to 15 from Parliament Hill and the Rideau Centre... the Byward Market is about the same distance, and even the far reaches of the Market area is only about 15 to 20 from the Hotel.

As already mentioned, for more info take a look at the Cartier Place Suite Hotel page on TA, as well as their Website www.suitedreams.com

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

Thanks so much for all your input.

We are actually planning to come to the Blues festival. I guess I had the New Orleans Jazz festival on my mind.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
613 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

The Bluesfest is a little further away, unlike the Jazzfest, which is downtown, the Bluesfest is west of the downtown at a place called Lebreton flats, a good 30 minute walk from your hotel or a very quick bus ride, as our "Transitway" runs right by the festival site. Several routes running every few minutes.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
613 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

Sorry, wrote that one in a bit of a hurry, forgot the link for public transit in Ottawa

http://www.octranspo.com/Main_MenuE.asp

10. Re: Cartier Place Hotel for Jazz Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2009, 06:18