We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close to Byward Market - hotels

Niagara Region ON
Level Contributor
20 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Close to Byward Market - hotels

I'm assuming the market will be open Thanksgiving Day? I would like the names of the closest hotels/inns since we are not big walkers and would like to leave the car parked.

Anyone know what would be the newest hotel in the area?

Thanks for your help.

toronto
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Close to Byward Market - hotels

http://www.ottawatourism.ca

Hope you will find what you looking for.

rex

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Close to Byward Market - hotels

The Courtyard by Marriott is in the market. Hotels near the market are Les Suites, Novotel, Westin and Fairmont Chateau Laurier. All were built in the 1970s, except the Chateau, which is 1910ish.

Les Suites is generally best value for the money.

ontario,canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Close to Byward Market - hotels

The Arc hotel is a wonderful boutique style of hotel it is a walk to the market but you could always take a cab. I would reccommend this hotel to anyone who was travelling to ottawa but it would not be a hotel for people with children. JMHO enjoy your trip

Niagara Region ON
Level Contributor
20 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Close to Byward Market - hotels

thank you to all who posted a response.....can you tell me one more thing? Is the Byward Market still active during my travel time........that would be exactly Wednesday Oct. 12.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Close to Byward Market - hotels

As regards your last question - yes everything will be open and active in the Byward Market during your trip.

Don't forget to check out all the stores, cafés, galleries and restaurants that are within an 8 block radius of the Byward market. If for example, you start at Rideau and Sussex, then walk north on Sussex (towards the national gallery of Canada), you can turn right at any corner and find great shopping and eating. Its a very fun area to explore. And if you do this during the normal work week it will be less crowded than it is on the weekends. I hope you have a great time!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Close to Byward Market - hotels

B,

I have lived in Ottawa for over 20 years and know every nook and cranny.

If you can afford the Westin - stay there. It is almost the newest, but certainly the nicest. It's also right next to the market and part of the Rideau Center which is major downtown mall.

As with any big hotel, meals will be very expensive, but being so close to the Market you can find MANY places to eat.

Have fun.

Ottawa, CA
Level Contributor
579 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Close to Byward Market - hotels

I agree with canada one - the westin is lovely, located in the rideau centre, but also steps from the Market. The canal is accross the street, so nice view of boats etc. and lots to do here. There is plenty to see and do on Thanksgiving weekend - nothing shuts down really. Enjoy!