We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Selection

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Selection

Hi

I am trying to decide between two hotels for June 30 to July 2nd for the Canada Day celebrations.

2 rooms- 2 adults 1 child in one and 2 adults in the other.

Hotels

Lord Elgin or Courtyard by Marriott in the Byward Market.

We want to be close to Parliament Hill.

Which would you select?

Thank You.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Selection

While are both are close to Parliament Hill, the Courtyard seems to get better reviews all round. We found the rooms at the Courtyard to be very spacious, which is a nice plus, and the location near the Market was terrific.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155004-d182977…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Selection

Hi Dlin,

I see your dilemma... both of these being almost neck-and-neck in the HOTEL REVIEWS Section (both having a current TA Traveller Rating of 4 HOOTS for Satisfaction). The Courtyard by Marriott ranked at Hotel # 10 and The Lord Elgin as Hotel # 13 (out of 58 Ottawa Hotels).

Personally, I would choose the Lord Elgin for a variety of reasons...

1- They are more central, on Elgin just blocks from Parliament Hill and the festivities... less walking... your feet will be tired enough at the end of the day... also a good location to steal away to if you want a break mid-afternoon.

2- They are a 3-1/2 Star property vs 3 Stars at the Marriott Courtyard. So as judged by their peers in the Hotel Industry they are seen to be a Hotel with better ammenities.

3- They are a long time established property in Ottawa... one of the Grand Dames of the Hotel biz (much like the Chateau Laurier). Hence the reason they have 180+ Reviews on TA (vs 74 for the Courtyard). The property that now is the Courtyard has been a variety of hotels over the years... there does seem to be some back & forth, up and down with that location... as well as hit & miss in regards to service.

4- I much prefer the location of the Lord Elgin overall. Walking around Ottawa day or night is a safe venture... BUT, I'd much prefer being on Elgin vs some parts of the Byward Market and environs which are a tad on the seedy side (Dalhousie - Rideau - King Edward).

As for why the Courtyard is leading the charge these days in rankings... my guess is that they are doing a better job at customer service than they've done previously (up & down / hit & miss)... one big improvement is I see that they now are having Management read and respond to Reviews on TA... that is always seen as a Hotel being proactive... and generally accounts for higher ratings by Travellers.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... with the demographics of your family 2 + 2 + 1 have you considered looking at any of the Apartment / Suite Hotels that are in Ottawa... we have a ton of them (due to the Federal Government and folks needing a variety of options from a short visit to something more permanent). They tend to be popular with families in that they are well located, have excellent rates and facilities (ie a 2 Bedroom with Kitchen & Living Room). When looking at the OTTAWA HOTEL REVIEW Section... just look for the word "Suites" in the Hotel name.

Edited: 12 January 2010, 03:52
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Selection

Thank You Tobie :)

Thank You Wine-4-2 for the information. Very helpful :)

I will take a look at the Suite hotels.

Nunavut
Level Contributor
95 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Selection

Between those two I'd go with Lord Elgin. Your stay will be more quiet and it is closer to Parliament hill.

The Marriott courtyard in the Byward Market has many night clubs around it so it will be nosier, especially if you face the main street.

Immediate area at the Lord Elgin is mostly office towers with some restaurants and pubs just blocks away. The rideau centre (shopping mall) is walking distance across the road is the National Art Centre. Plus you have plenty of shops, restaurants and pubs down the road on Elgin street and Sparks street.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Selection

I have to agree that the Lord Elgin would be the best location for Canada Day celebrations. The others are good but, the Elgin is closer to the Hill and an easy walk if you just want to get a load off your feet during the day.

I actually know both these properties quite well and will always refer the Lord Elgin to my buisness clients over the Courtyard. The Courtyard is far less of a property than the Elgin and with children, the Elgin is way better, in my opinion. I must also say that I use the Tripadvisor hotel information and ratings extensively but, I am becoming discouraged by the ratings. It almost seems like they are being...well...assisted? My apologies to any one I may have offended by that statement but whereas Tripadvisor hotel info used to be my one of my primary sources, it has now become one of many sources.

As for a suite hotel, might I suggest the Cartier Place Suites, tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155004-d182973… a few blocks from the Lord Elgin. I send clients there too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Selection

Thank you all for your help :)

I have booked the Lord Elgin. They had a two night special. 15%off.

Thanks again.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Selection

Hi Dlin,

Glad we could be of help... Please come back and give us an Update on how your plans are going (or a TripReport afterwards). Five months from now all will be said & done... and HOT & Sunny hopefully.

:-)

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

8. Re: Hotel Selection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2010, 08:16