We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominion Chalmers Church

Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
226 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
Dominion Chalmers Church

My wife and I will be seeing a concert at Dominion Chalmers on Saturday. It looks like we'll be sitting way in the back. Has anybody on this forum seen a concert there? How is the sound. What's the view like from the back row? Are there any good pubs within walking distance for an after-concert pint? We're staying at the Bostonian.

Thanks, V

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominion Chalmers Church

I have never been to a concert at Dominion Chalmers, however I know it attracts *many* types of concerts (i.e. it's reputation as a concert hall is at least equal to it's reputation as a church). Reviews of the accoustics from various performers range from "superb" to "pretty good". Not sure about the last row... but by all accounts the venue has a great reputation.

As to the after show pints... you're in luck... after leaving the concert, simply head 2 blocks East to Elgin St.... turn right... and start walking. The next 1/2 km or so contains dozens of pubs, restaurants, clubs, etc. It's one of Ottawa's "secondary" nightlife districts, and I'm sure you'll find something that suits your fancy :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominion Chalmers Church

Hi Verybigv,

Welcome to the OTTAWA TRAVEL FORUM.

As my colleague TRAVELINMAN314 has said you'll find a good assortment of Pubs along Elgin... some of my local favourites would include:

The Manx - 370 Elgin (SOUTH - Elgin corner of Frank)

TA REVIEW Manx Pub = tripadvisor.in/Restaurant_Review-g155004-d79…

The Lieutenant's Pump - 361 Elgin (SOUTH - almost across the street from The Manx) = http://lieutenantspump.ca/

TA REVIEW Lieutenant's Pump = tripadvisor.in/Restaurant_Review-g155004-d84…

D'Arcy McGee's - 44 Sparks (NORTH - corner of Elgin at Sparks Street - Confederation Square) = http://ottawa.darcymcgees.com/

TA REVIEW D'Arcy McGees Irish Pub = tripadvisor.in/Restaurant_Review-g155004-d70…

As always I find the TA REVIEWS when it comes to Restaurants etc a bit sorted... (don't forget one can also find other Websites with Reviews on line just by doing a GOOGLE SEARCH).

The Manx is by many many locals considered the Best Pub in Ottawa (I'd be in those numbers) it is small and quaint, has a great selection of beers and other drinks, and amazing food. But it is also popular, so there are times when one cannot get in... in which case "The Pump" across the road is also a favourite.

D'Arcy McGee's is an Ottawa Institution when it comes to Irish Pubs... named after a Father of Confederation it is situation on Sparks Street not far from where this famous Canadian Politician was gunned down by an Assassin just a week shy of his 43rd Birthday. Much like Thomas D'Arcy McGee the pub named in his honour is strong on Irish Roots and has a rowdy tendency.

Wikipedia - Thomas D'Arcy McGee = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_D'Arcy_McGee

And if you wander farther afield to the Byward Market Area then a visit to the Irish Village grouping of Pubs is a must = www.irishvillage.ca/byward.aspx

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 14 May 2010, 21:55
Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
226 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominion Chalmers Church

Thanks for the input. We had a great time. We managed to get to The Mayflower, The Manx, The Fox and Feather and The Royal Oak. You can see from anywhere in The Dominion Chalmers Church and the sound was great.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominion Chalmers Church

Hi Verybigv,

You are very welcome... glad to hear you had a good visit.

Please if you haven't done so so far, be sure and take the time to write something for the REVIEWS Section (Restaurants - Accommodations...Buttons to the left of this screeen)... it would go a long way to helping out other Travellers.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

5. Re: Dominion Chalmers Church

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 05:17