We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

Hi All!

I plan to make a day trip to Ottawa from montreal and it looks like both the bus and train station is out of the way from the main tourist sites (Parliament Hill, Byward market etc).

However, I read somewhere that the bus actually makes two stops: one at University of Ottawa area (which apparently is closer to where Parliament Hill, Byward market is) and another at the regular Catherine/Kent junction stop.

Can anyone confirm if the bus indeed make two stops? If that's the case, should I get off at the first stop? Does that also mean that for the return journey, I can go to University of Ottawa stop to take the bus back to Montreal?

thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

Yes the bus does make two stops, one at university of Ottawa and the other at Catherine/kent bus terminal. However, you can only get on the bus at catherine/kent bus terminal, there are no pick ups at the university of Ottawa.

Given the choice, personally I would take the train. It is far more comfortable, clean and roomy. The ottawa train station is fairly quick to downtown about $10-15 taxi ride, or the city bus will also get you there relatively quickly.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

In case you have not already seen this string from the Montreal forum, it deals with a day trip from Montreal to Ottawa as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k39876…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

Hi Mishyq,

Welcome to the OTTAWA (Canada’s Capital City) TRAVEL FORUM

My colleague 001TRAVELER001 has done an excellent job giving you the info you need… actually getting to and from the downtown area to either the Train or Bus Station isn’t that big a deal… Ottawa has good public transit to both spots… both of which are located along our major East-West Transportation Corridor (Hwy 417 / TransCanada Highway).

I am saddened to see that you have only allowed enough time for a Day Trip to this wonderful city… much like your own hometown of Washington DC, Ottawa as our National Capital has a ton of great stuff to see and do… we typically recommend on the CANADA TRAVEL FORUMS that one allow a MINIMUM of 2 Days for a visit.

With such a limited amount of time at hand, you might want to take a look at this Topic entitled *Day Trip to Ottawa* = tripadvisor.ca/…29256822

A long list of possibilities… Hopefully that will inspire you… if you have any further Questions (needing to cherry pick from the long list with just a wee bit of time), please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

i am still debating whether to take the train or bus... some ppl seem to claim that the greyhound canada bus between montreal-ottawa is not really as comfortable -- i just hope it's not as bad as the greyhound in US!

i will be living in berri-uqam area, so the temptation to take bus is stronger... whereareas for train, i saw a discounted ticket ($29 before tax) one way and will like to have the via rail experience, but the dep time ottawa to montreal is 7 am so could anyone please let me know what time i should plan on taking the metro from berri-uqam to the montreal train station?

also according to wikipedia, it looks like you can get off at metro metro stations, can anyone tell me which metro stop i should get off in order to be nearer the railtracks of montreal->ottawa? thank you!!!

Metro

Main article: Montreal Metro

Bonaventure (Orange Line)[4]

Square-Victoria (Orange Line)

McGill (Green Line) by way of Place Ville Marie and Eaton Centre)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

also, how much is the fare to take the 94/95/96 bus from ottawa train station to center city (parliament hill area etc)

can anyone please let me know? is it exact fare (coins only)?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

but thanks all for the help meanwhile, much appreicated :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

Hi Mishyq,

QUESTION # 1 (Reply # 4 above)

You’ll have to ask your Montreal Metro Questions in the MONTREAL TRAVEL FORUM… as they are Montreal specific.

As for the Greyhound (and other inter-city bus service in Canada)... can tell you that it is much much better than Greyhound in the USA… still though I prefer the train as it is super comfy vs the bus (and classier... usually filled with Business People - Tourists - Seniors - and University Students). Primary advantage to the bus is it is cheaper and runs more often than the train.

QUESTION # 2 (Reply # 5 above)

The fare is $ 3.25 one-way EXACT CHANGE. Or you can buy a day pass (unlimited travel) for $ 7.50 EXACT CHANGE directly from the Driver when you get on the bus.

OC Transpo Fare Boxes have two slots one for coins ONLY and the other for Bus Tickets & Bills... if you are unsure when you get on the bus just chat with the Driver... they are used to tons of Tourists here in Ottawa.

Of course in Canada… we don’t have Bills for ones & twos… we have Loonies & Twoonies… so Bills would only be an issue if you wanted to buy a Day Pass using a Five Dollar Bill.

For more info see the OC Transpo Website = www.octranspo1.com/tickets-and-passes/

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… Here’s a thought, come to Ottawa on the train in comfort… and go back to Montreal on a late bus… this will give you the advantage of having a longer day to enjoy the National Capital.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

great advice from wine 4-2. Just to reinforce, the train is infinitly more comfortable than the bus. In addition, in my experience (granted it has been a while since I took a bus), the bus tended to have and attractt more "interesting characters".

Ottawa, Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

I agree with everything that has been said so far. I am from Montreal and currently leave in Ottawa. I have used both the bus and train in many occasion. Bus schedule is usually more convenient and cheaper, although if you pre-purchase your train tickets ahead of time, it's about the same.

The train is more confortable. so if I am able to book my trip ahead of time and the schedule works with my needs I usually take the train but if it's a last minute thing, I take the bus.

Going from the train station to downtown in Ottawa is quick and cheap.

In Montreal to go from Berri to the Train Station, take the orange line in direction of Côte vertu and get off at Bonaventure (4th). It's the closest, you could actually walk inside from the metro station to the train station. There should be signs but you could ask if you don't see any. The ride is about 5 minutes. Allow yourself 5 minutes for waiting at Berri (that's plenty) and 10 minutes to make your way to station at Bonenvature. I always like to be ahead of time, so for a 7 am departure, I would probaly try to be a Berri by 6:15-6:20 just to be sure.

Enjoy you trip

10. Re: Montreal->Ottawa for a Day trip by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 05:17