We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is close to the Chimo hotel?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What is close to the Chimo hotel?

My mom and I are going to Ottawa next week for a conference at the Chimo hotel, can anyone suggest something that is within walking distance that we might enjoy? We like artsy things, such as museums, shopping, etc. Also, does anyone know of any good restaurants close by? Preferrably something like fish/seafood, pasta, sandwiches etc... we aren't steak or sushi people.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is close to the Chimo hotel?

I'm afraid your interests and the area around the Chimo don't coincide. The St Laurent shopping centre, one of the 3 largest in Ottawa, is a 5 minute walk. No museums or artsy things within walking distance.

Not much in restaurants either - mostly chains like Eastside Mario's (in the St Laurent Centre), Perkins, Boston Pizza, Rockin' Johnny's (a local diner-type chain). The nearest destination restaurant is Coconut Lagoon, an excellent South Indian restaurant, maybe 20 min. walk.

Your best bet is to take the 10 to 15 min. bus ride downtown from the St Laurent centre for food and culture.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is close to the Chimo hotel?

Hi 154914TravelBug,

Welcome to the OTTAWA (Canada’s Capital City Region) TRAVEL FORUM.

The Chimo Hotel is well… umm, not the best located… and not the Hotel it once was. It is a mid-range hotel located in the burbs for the most part.

It is EAST of Downtown, right along side the Queensway (Trans-Canada Hwy) which is our major east-west corridor thru the city. Nothing really worthwhile around it… except for the St Laurent Shopping Centre which is nearby, and the St Laurent Transit Station which will provide you with great bus service to the Downtown area (6.5 Kms) and about 10 Minutes on the bus.

St Laurent Shopping Centre though is a nice enough mall… and good sized, so can be a good diversion if need be. There is an Eastside Marios there www.eastsidemarios.com and a Lone Star Texas Grill (a Tex-Mex Chain of Restaurants from Ottawa) immediately next door to your hotel. Both of these offer decent food if you are looking to eat nearby.

Personally with the Transitway Station just across the street, and Downtown Service provided as part of being on an OC Transpo Rapid Transit Route (24/7 and every few minutes)… I’d opt for just going into the Downtown area.

For more info on OC Transpo take a look at their website = http://www.octranspo1.com/splash

And for info on pricing… Ticketing & Passes (including Day Passes) see this page = http://www.octranspo1.com/tickets-and-passes

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… I apologize for the any duplication in info… looks like RONW and I were Drafting our replies at the same time.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is close to the Chimo hotel?

Oh really, that is too bad. At least we have the transit system close. Thank you for all the information, I am hoping the museums etc are fairly close by transit.

Is there anything in the downtown area you would reccomend? I have been to Ottawa once before but I don't remember any names of anything, etc. Is there anything in particular I should know before I go?

4. Re: What is close to the Chimo hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 03:16