We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Biking Near Ottawa

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glen, NH
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Biking Near Ottawa

My wife and I are visiting Ottawa later this week (4/20-4/23) and we're hoping to bring our mountain bikes to get in a ride. We're not sure if the trails are dried out enough yet for riding. Does anyone have any information about this? I've emailed a few bike shops but haven't heard back. Thanks in advance.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Biking Near Ottawa

Hi nhmtns;

It was snowing in Ottawa today, with rain in the forecast for Wednesday & Saturday.

weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/on-118_metric…

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Biking Near Ottawa

Hi Nhmtns,

Welcome to the OTTAWA TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see that you are NEW to the TA FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well.

Hmmm, a bit early for mountain biking I’m afraid.

April in Ottawa is sort of like April on a Mountain of NH… most definitely Late Winter here. Although Ottawa and NH are only a few hours apart… that is certainly enough geography to make a considerable difference in our climates (lol, part of the reason I enjoy Early Spring Getaways to New England).

Winter in Ottawa spans about 6 months… with snow happening anywhere from mid-late October thru to mid-late April.

Infact we had some snow showers today (nothing that fell and stayed, but it certainly happened)… North of the city, and around the Laurentians & Mont Tremblant, it did stick and stay.

Our temps for April are pretty cool… as per the Government of Canada’s Environment Canada our National Weather Service April Averages for Ottawa are as follows…

…weatheroffice.gc.ca/climate_normals/…

OR tinyurl.com/EnvCan-OttawaAirportAverages (I provide the foreshortened URL for your convenience as sometimes TA doesn’t support lengthy Website Addresses)

APRIL

* Daily Average Temperature = 5.7 C (42 F)

* Average High Temperature = 10.8 C (51 F)

* Average Low Temperature = 0.6 C (33 F)

* Extreme Maximum Temperature = 31.1 C (88 F) – April 27, 1990

* Extreme Minimum Temperature = -16.7 C (2 F) – April 4, 1954

* Average Monthly Snowfall = 11 cms (4.33 Inches)

* Extreme Snowfall = 29.8 cms (12 Inches) = April 1, 1993

WEATHER FORECAST…

* Today ~ Sunday, April 17th = Currently a 1 C (34 F) Snow Flurries Expected

* Monday, April 18th = High 7 C (45 F) Low -3 C (27 F) Snow Flurries Expected

* Tuesday, April 19th = High 8 C (46 F) Low -3 C (27 F) Cloudy

* Wednesday, April 20th = High 13 C (55 F) Low 0 C (32 F) Rain

* Thursday, April 21st = High 8 C (46 F) Low 2 C (36 F) Showers

* Friday, April 22nd = High 12 C (54 F) Low 1 C (34 F) Cloudy

* Saturday, April 23rd = High 9 C (48 F) Low 3 C (37 F) Rain

I was up driving on the Quebec side last weekend, and they certainly have more snow that us here in the city (we have virtually nothing now). So there is snow in the woods, and on the trails still… ranging anywhere from 0 to 6 inches... spots that are really shady would be 6 to 10 inches (guesstimating).

One’s best bets in the region tend to be the ski hills in the summertime… but they are either still operating, or just closing down… as I said still Late Winter. Know for example that mountain biking at Camp Fortune doesn’t start until mid June usually.

Gatineau Park (a Federal Park just outside of the City on the Quebec side) offers Hiking Trails & Biking Trails but as far as I know they are NOT OPEN (imagine the cross country ski trails are about over… too many bare spots).

National Capital Commission – Gatineau Park = canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/…

All that said, Ottawa is an amazing city for cycling… if you dress warm enough to break the wind (gloves and hat especially at this time of year) then you could certainly get in some excellent biking on our numerous “paved trails” when you are in town (the Parkways in particular offer up amazing scenery and great rides).

NCC – Cycling in the Canada’s Capital Region = canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/…

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

EDIT - Looks like RESCUE TEAM and I were posting at the same time... he got his weather forecast from Environment Canada... I got mine from The Weather Network (Tv & On-Line)... so now you have two points for view.

:-) *smile*

Edited: 18 April 2011, 06:20
Glen, NH
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Biking Near Ottawa

Thanks for the info. We were there last year around this time and the weather was really warm, but that obviously wasn't typical. We were hoping it was! It sounds like the weather for late April is the same as here in the White Mountains of NH. We had an inch of snow in the valleys a couple days ago and high temps are around 40-50 F. Still lots of snow in the higher elevations here.

Perhaps we will bring our road bikes instead. Thanks again!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain Biking Near Ottawa

You're Welcome, nhmtns !

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain Biking Near Ottawa

Hi NHMtns,

You are very welcome... glad to help.

Statistically, Ottawa receives on average about 235 cms (93 Inches) of snow annually. Last Winter (2009-10) was one of the warmest ever on record... we had virtually NO SNOW in February, March or April and total accumulation for the season was only 138.2 cms (54 Inches) according to Environment Canada the Government of Canada’s National Weather Service.

A couple of years before that, Winter 2007-08 and we closed in on the all time record with 433 cms (170 Inches) and many of us were still digging out in May!!

A typical April is indeed a lot like NH… this one has been a tad milder but nothing like last year… where people were running around in shirtsleeves & shorts in March & April (the sun showed up and stayed warm… agriculturally we were 3 to 4 Weeks ahead of the norm all summer… lol, the poor Tulip Festival that is a HUGE Annual Event for us every May had almost no tulips to show, as most of them had come & gone in April).

This year our winter season (2010-11), hasn’t seen much snow accumulation in the last month or so, but it has been pretty normal as far as temperatures go (chilly to cold)… so that snow that is on the ground (especially in any shaded areas such as the woods of Gatineau Park is slow to melt). And it is only in the last week or so… that precipitation has turned to rain vs snow when it happens for the most part.

Bringing the road bikes is a great idea… as I said in my previous post there are some great places to bike both in the city and the region… if you are here for a few days, and looking for an interesting ride there is also the 1000 Islands Parkway (south of the city, just east of Brockville about 1-1/4 Hours away… truly scenic). Just under 40 Kms from Butternut Bay (Brockville) to the town of Gananoque the Parkway offers wonderful vistas on a safe paved route.

Go Biking.ca (1000 Islands) = www.gobiking.ca/1000-islands/index.html

The 1000 Islands Parkway runs parallel to the St Lawrence River, and the section known as the 1000 Islands (there truly are over 1000 Islands here equally divided up between the USA & Canada)… A summer playground for over 100 Years of both countries Rich, Famous and Infamous… and all who love the water… it is a gorgeous area to explore… the cruise boats should be running and they offer up 1 to 3 Hour Tours that will take you on a scenic route thru the islands for a peek at both countries National & Provincial / State Parks, Conservation Areas, Golf Courses, Cottages, Homes, Mansions and even 2 Castles… if you haven’t been to the area before it is most certainly worth a visit… one of Ontario & NY State’s true gems.

If you need more info about what to see or do in Ottawa let us know.

For more info on the 1000 Islands see the TA TRAVEL PAGES for GANANOQUE (Gateway to the 1000 Islands) and its respective TRAVEL FORUM.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain Biking Near Ottawa

Short answer -- bring your road bikes.

A number of die-hards are already out cycling, so you won't feel out of place. Many of the NCC bike paths should be clear, and the cycle path along the canal can be quite pleasant, even though the water level is still low.

Enjoy your stay!

7. Re: Mountain Biking Near Ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 03:18