We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking Rideau Canal

sudbury
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking Rideau Canal

Hello, has anyone gone kayking on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa? I noticed you can rent kayaks at Dow's Lake Pavillion, but just wondering what sights there are to see and how long of a lpaddle it is

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking Rideau Canal

Hi Nctrips,

Welcome to the OTTAWA (Canada’s Capital City Region) TRAVEL FORUM

First off, you’ll want to take a look at an On-Line Mapping Program, to become more familiar with the City

I like GOOGLE MAPS, because not only does it calculate times & distances… but has cool added features that are perfect for Trip Planning… the Satellite & Street View Options means you can truly “see” a Destination long before you ever get there (take the little yellow man… for a drive, and you can see everything from a “curb-side” perspective.

The main in-town portion of the Rideau Canal… from the Staircase Locks on the Ottawa River near the Chateau Laurier… to the far end of Dow’s Lake and the Hartwells Locks is aprox 10 Kms = 6 Miles (a good portion of which is the world famous Rideau Canal Skateway in the Wintertime)

In addition to paddling around Dow’s Lake… to the south towards Hartwells Locks is Carleton University on the Eastside of the Canal… and the Canadian Central Experimental Farm on the Westside of the Canal.

To the north from Dow’s Lake… the Canal passes thru a predominantly residential area of town (and a very affluent one)… as well as passing by Lansdowne Park & Frank Clair Stadium (to the Westside) and the University of Ottawa (to the Eastside)… and then making its way past some very important national landmarks… National Defence HQ – the NEW Ottawa Convention Centre – The Westin Hotel – The Government Conference Centre (the former Train Station) – The Chateau Laurier Hotel – and Major’s Hill Park (to the Eastside)… and Cartier Square Drill Hall – Confederation Square – the National Arts Centre – and the East Block of Parliament Hill (to the Westside)

At aprox 20 Kms (12 Miles) round-trip… it is probably doubtful that you’ll do the whole trek… but now you know what is available for scenery.

BTW… IF you take a City Sightseeing Bus Tour… or a Sightseeing Boat Cruise on the Rideau Canal (in-town)… then you’ll be covering the exact same territory.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... If you just paddle around Dow's Lake itself... it will probably add up to aprox 1 Km.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 03:59
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking Rideau Canal

Hi:

I've kayaked from Dows Lake to downtown several years ago. Its about 6 km, and took an hour to an hour and a half one way. It was an enjoyable ride. We were able to go as far as the top of the set of locks under the Rideau Street bridge and heard the Parliament Hill carillon concert before we headed back. The Canal winds through mostly residential areas, you will see Lansdowne Park, Ottawa U, the National Arts Centre, new Convention Center, Parliament buildings. (similar to what you see skating, cycling or on a tour boat).

I haven't done very much kayaking but I found the single kayaks for rent at the Dow's Lake Pavillion harder to control than most I have used. They did not have the foot controlled rudder I have seen in other boats. (They may have different models now)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking Rideau Canal

The Skate the Canal video produced by the National Capital Commission gives the same perspective you will see from a kayak on the Rideau Canal. Takes a little longer when you are paddling.

canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking Rideau Canal

TO ONTHEROAD16,

Wow, excellent NCC video... I wasn't aware of that one. Thanks for sharing !!

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

sudbury
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking Rideau Canal

WOW Thank you so much for all the info!!!

Ontheroad16....I have a 16' Wilderness kayak, and very use to a rudder, so I think I will check out the boats before heading out. I've done 3 of the great lakes, but haven't been able to paddle for two years, just getting back into it.

Loved the video of the canal! I've always wanted to get to Ottawa during the winter to skate on the canal........maybe, one day.

Wine 4-2, I love the little yellow man. When planning my trips, I always go for a walk with him. It's exciting to plan trip and see where you'll be.

I love all your posts here and on other trip advisor cities.

We are heading to Ottawa late Friday night, I have a conference on Sunday night/ Monday and then leave Monday night.

I've bought tickets for the HOHO bus and River Cruise (from your recommendation on other posts, wine 4-2) and for the Haunted Walk. We plan to do the touristy thing; Parliament Buildings, Laurier House, Rideau Hall, Bytown Museum and Byward Market (and still get in a paddle ).

If you have any other suggestions, please throw them this way.

3 more sleeps : )))

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking Rideau Canal

Hi Nctrips,

Thank you for your kind words... glad to help.

Sounds like you have a good weekend planned.

Lol… yes couldn’t live without my friendly “little yellow man” when I myself am Trip Planning… he is an amazing way to help Travellers see a Destination long before they ever arrive !!

The Hop-On & Hop-Off Bus will give you a good overview of the City of Ottawa and Hull-Gatineau next door.

The Haunted Walk is one of the best rated attractions in Ottawa… I know a guy who was a guide for awhile… they do an excellent job when it comes to history, entertainment and overall value… I am sure you’ll have a good time.

Touristy thing is good… Parliament Hill (outside walk-about) – Guided Tour of Centre Block (House of Commons – Senate – Library of Parliament) – Self-Tour of the Peace Tower & Memorial Chamber – Rideau Canal – Bytown Museum – Byward Market – Rideau Hall – Laurier House

Other favourites… Valiants Memorial – National Cenotaph & the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - Chateau Laurier (Karsh Photos & The Ballroom) – Canadian Peacekeeping Monument – Embassy Row – and 24 Sussex (the last two you’ll see from the HOHO Bus)

Even IF you are not a fan of museums… you should try to fit one in… our National Museums will surely surprise you… they are top notch… and have many interactive exhibits… The National Gallery - Agriculture – Canadian Civilization - Currency - Diefenbunker ~ The Cold War – Nature – RCMP Musical Ride Centre - Science & Technology - Space & Aviation – War… there really is something for everyone’s interests…

And if you are willing to spread your wings a bit… check out some of various Restaurant Areas… Byward Market and Elgin Street are the most known… but you’ll also find good eats in Chinatown (Somerset West) – Little Italy (Preston Street)… so much more than just Italian – and Hintonburg & Westboro Village (Wellington St & Richmond Road… between Irving and Woodroffe)

If you need further recommendations / suggestions… come back to the FORUM for more info.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking Rideau Canal

Hi

Thanks for your response.

A special event this weekend is an National Arts Center Orchestra outdoor concert - Hope and Remembrance - in commemoration of 9/11. Its Sunday morning at 8:46 am

www2.nac-cna.ca/en/orchestra/event/1797/

Frugal Fun Ottawa is also a good resource. Don't see the weekly blog for this weekend yet. Keep checking. Click "take me to" for listing of events and activities around Ottawa.

http://frugalfunottawa.ca/frugalfish/

Enjoy your visit

Ontheroad16

sudbury
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayaking Rideau Canal

Thank you again Wine 4-2. I hadn't planned our restaurants yet. But would love some ideas, don't think you can publish names of restaurants here though.

We'd love to see some museums, but not sure if we have enough time to fit everything in. We only have Saturday and until 4PM on Sunday. Then I have to go to a conference.

I thought I read that the RCMP stables are closed for the season. We would have loved to tour them.

We might have to postpone the kayaking for another visit **SIGH** : )

Ontheroad 16 thanks for the info about the 9/11 concert. And I will check out those websites.

Looks like we are going to have beautiful weather for the weekend.

9. Re: Kayaking Rideau Canal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 20:18