We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fallowfield train station parking

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Fallowfield train station parking

I'm catching a train out of the Fallowfield Station Friday morning; am I able to park there for the weekend, and how much does it cost? Would it be possible to park at the park and ride instead for free? Paying for parking is my pet peeve, especially in the suburbs :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fallowfield train station parking

Hi Lifesci99,

Welcome to the OTTAWA (Canada's Capital City Region) TRAVEL FORUM

Unfortunately not much info on the Via Rail Website…

Via Rail (Fallowfield Station) = viarail.ca/en/stations/ontario/fallowfield

I will be out that way this weekend, so will be able to give you a first-hand account of what is happening in regards to parking at the Barrhaven Fallowfield Station and Park & Ride.

I do know that the last time I was there (summer)… that it was Pay & Display… and tickets could be purchased for a Quantity of Hours or Days… unfortunately don’t remember how much actual parking amounts were.

Not sure what the deal is with long-term parking at the nearby OC Transpo Park & Ride (will want to read the signs)… and also wonder about the security at both lots (know that some Park & Rides for example have cameras mounted on the light standards).

Also know that the OC Transpo Website says there is some paving work etc happening at the Park & Ride.

As I say… I’ll take a look around for you over the next 12 to 24 Hours… and let you know my findings.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… Realize it might not work if you have a lot of baggage… BUT I do know that OC Transpo’s Bus # 95 is a Rapid Transit Route that provides frequent service 24 Hours a Day (it is a cross city bus... Orleans to Barrhaven via the Transitway)

OC Transpo – Schedule Bus # 95 (November 4, 2011) = www.octranspo1.com/routes/…

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fallowfield train station parking

Hi! Thanks so much for your help! I hadn't thought of security in the lots, actually. I guess I shouldn't assume that just because something is way out in the 'burbs it should be fine :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fallowfield train station parking

Hi Lifesci99,

Ok drove out to the Fallowfield Train & Bus Station and took a look around here then are my findings.

Via Rail Parking is 50 cents for the first 2 Hours… after that it is $ 5.00 per Day. It is a Pay & Display System… and they accept either Cash (coins) or Credit Cards (Mastercard – Visa – American Express)

Although the lot is a busy one, and appears to be well lit… I didn’t see any cameras etc. So not sure how secure it would be… also considering that this is a Pay & Display Lot so guessing you’d be leaving a Parking Pass in the window of your car that would clearly say when you’d be returning (or so I assume… I didn’t print out a pass to test this part of the theory… did notice that the machines ask for your license plate info… so it is possible that it works on a bar-code system therefore “blind” to anyone walking past your parked vehicle).

The OC Transpo Park & Ride Lot next door at the Fallowfield Station has recently been expanded… nice new asphalt (looks like they resurfaced the older lots as well) and lines are freshly painted.

Parking at the Park & Ride here is FREE… but there are signs saying that OC Transpo patrols the lot, and that unauthorized cars parked there will be ticketed and towed. As the OC Transpo Bus # 95 runs 24 Hours a Day now… these lots would be OPEN and accessible 24 Hours a day.

The lots are well lit… not 100% sure how much security there is though. Every lot does have at least one Emergency Call Box… and in the Parking Lot closest to the Train Station (left hand turn off of the entrance driveway) there are cameras mounted on some of the light standards.

Honestly, it would be a tough decision for me to make… leave my car in one lot or the other… if getting a drive to the Train was at all an option (relative, friend etc) then that is probably the one I’d choose.

<< I hadn't thought of security in the lots, actually. I guess I shouldn't assume that just because something is way out in the 'burbs it should be fine :) >>

IF you do decide to leave your car the age-old advisories would need to be taken into account... lock your car, and leave NOTHING in plain sight... even stuff like Small Change, Sunglasses, CDs etc tend to make one's car a mark... if there is NOTHING visible then chances are good that "the bad guys" are going to move on to someone else's vehicle.

And be sure to remove your Automatic Garage Door Opener, and any paperwork in the car that shows your Name and Address.

All precautions aside...

There is always the risk of random vandalism (keying, broken wipers, antennas etc)... which I find to be more prevelant in the burbs... but it is a chance you take when you park in public lot here in Ottawa (sadly),

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 31 October 2011, 02:17
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fallowfield train station parking

Hello! Thank you SO much for going to the trouble of going down there to check and for all the information, it really was helpful. I think I will probably go with one of your original suggestions of taking the bus to Fallowfield station and not having to worry about my car at all. Nothing ruins a great weekend like getting back to see your car windows smashed in! Thanks again!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fallowfield train station parking

Hi LifeSci99,

You are very welcome... glad to help.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

6. Re: Fallowfield train station parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2012, 05:17