We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Ottawa

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Parking in Ottawa

We will only be in Ottawa for one day, a Monday, and I was wondering where the best public parking garage is. I know parking is pretty inexpensive by US standards, so price is not really an issue. But is there any place that is safer, closer to downtown, etc. for parking than another? I would like a garage and not a lot if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Ottawa

Hi NewYork20-14,

Welcome to the OTTAWA (Canada's Capital City Region) TRAVEL FORUM

My “go-to” parking spot when needing to be somewhere central in Downtown like the Parliament Buildings would be the World Exchange Plaza (111 Albert Street).

You can access the underground garage easily off of Metcalfe.

Assuming that you are coming into Ottawa from the West (the direction most folks seem to arrive from)… take the Trans-Canada Hwy 417 (The Queensway) EASTBOUND… and get off at the Metcalfe Exit. Stay in the middle / left lane… and follow the signage for Metcalfe (you’ll actually go “around” the Canadian Museum of Nature)… and at Albert Street you’ll want to be in the second lane from the left hand side (not the lefthand turning lane)… so you can go “straight” into the garage entrance at this corner*

*NOTE - This can be a bit complicated in writing… one of those things that you might want to check out by using an on-line mapping program (I like GOOGLE MAPS… because they also have the “Street View” option… which really lets you “see” a place before you ever arrive).

The World Exchange Plaza is just 2 Blocks from Parliament Hill up Metcalfe.

When you exit the Plaza look for the O’Connor markings in the Garage… that will put your right out on O’Connor Street in the same fashion that the Metcalfe Entrance fed off of Metcalfe… you’ll merge right into O’Connor’s Traffic Flow at the light. And, O’Connor feeds right down to a ramp onto the Queensway WESTBOUND.

The World Exchange Plaza Parking Lot is OPEN 24/7… and according to a fairly recent post on this topic, the Plaza is charging aprox $ 3 per hour for parking these days to a max of aprox $ 18 per day.

And for anyone here on a Weekend... Parking is FREE on the Weekends (but I unfortunately don’t know the details in regards to which days and what timeframe)

Short Term Street Parking can be EXPEN$IVE here in Ottawa… Meters are now 25 cents for 5 Minutes. And the City of Ottawa is notorious for the mumble-jumble of signage that they have on street spots… so that TOO MANY Tourists end up with Parking Tickets or being Towed.

Also Indoor Lots are typically manned and secure (either patrolled or monitored). This is important because Ottawa does have a problem like some other Canadian cities with smash & grabs and vehicle vandalism… your best defence is to leave NOTHING in plain view in your vehicle (zip-zero-zilch)… so not even Sunglasses, CDs or small change… make your car unattractive to them, and the thugs will move on to another vehicle.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Ottawa

You can also park at the underground lot at 241 Sparks street which is accessible from Queen street. From the parking garage you can exit right on the Sparks St pedestrian mall and you are right across the street from the Bank of Canada. Parking is really cheap, about $2 an hour. There are usually lots of spots available at this spot. It is about a 10 minute walk to the War Memorial on Elgin Street.

Google maps for good directions that take into account all the one way streets in downtown.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Ottawa

You might also consider the Rideau Centre (large downtown indoor mall). I'm not sure what the current rates are, but they are likely close to the rates at the other two parking garages.

The location is perfect for viewing the Rideau Canal (although it has been drained in preparation for winter skating), and is just next to the Byward Market.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Ottawa

Hi NewYork20-14,

RE - Rideau Centre Parking Lots

In the past there have been "issues" with cars parked at the Rideau Centre when it comes to B&Es and Snatch & Grabs... If you do choose to park there be particularly vigilant about leaving NOTHING visible inside your vehicle.

Personally, we find a better choice in that immediate area (proximity to the Rideau Canal) to be the Parking that is offered at (under) City Hall (114 Laurier Avenue West). This is a facility that is well maintained, and is both manned and has security cameras.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 28 November 2011, 14:08
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Ottawa

I guess everyone has their preferences.

During the lead-up to Christmas, and because of the proximity to the new Convention Centre, there is a lot of activity in and out of the Rideau Centre garage; the likelihood of lowlifes being detected or disrupted is much greater.

I guess, newyork20_14, that it all depends on the sights that you are hoping to see, as well as your comfort level, and the distance you are willing to walk.

Have fun!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Ottawa

I have parked at the Rideau Centre for many years, at all times of the year and have never had an issue myself and never seen damage to other cars. My comfort level for parking there is high. I feel totally comfortable suggesting people park there. I don't think the risks are greater than in other cities (probably less so).

7. Re: Parking in Ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 10:17