We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowshoeing/Cross country skiing in Ottawa

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snowshoeing/Cross country skiing in Ottawa

Hi guys - hit a bit of a roadblock late in my planning for my upcoming trip to Ottawa this weekend... I had planned to try both cross country skiing as well as snowshoeing at Gatineau Park, but just now realized that public transportation won't get me there! It looks like about an hour long walk from the closest bus if I'm looking at it right on google maps - not something I want to attempt in an unfamiliar area on what looks to be a road with no sidewalks :(

I'm really not looking for the 'best park/trails' experience, honestly I just want to try each for a short time, as I've not had the opportunity before. Is there anywhere within Ottawa that offers a rental for either that would be accessible by public transit?

Thanks in advance!!

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowshoeing/Cross country skiing in Ottawa

Trailhead (a short walk from the Westboro transitway station, and thus very well served by buses, and say a 10 minutes ride downtown Ottawa) rents skis and snowshoes for a reasonable fee.

http://www.trailhead.ca/rentals/fallwinter

The staff will be able to advise on trails - your best bets will likely be in the Greenbelt (a ring of park and farmland between central Ottawa and the outlying suburbs) or near the NCC trails along the river.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowshoeing/Cross country skiing in Ottawa

Awesome - thanks a ton!!! Looks like a great option... very excited :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowshoeing/Cross country skiing in Ottawa

The City of Ottawa has a Cross country ski program at Mooney's Bay which would be accessible by public transit. The website says they have daily use fee and rentals. Open 9 to 5 on the weekends. Call to get details. 613-298-3775 or 613-247-4883

ottawa.ca/en/…P28_1185

Winterlude events this weekend includes one snow show event ( bring your own) and learn to skate on the Canal. Also Free Sno Bus between the various sites makes it easy to get around.

canadascapital.gc.ca/celebrate/…theme

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowshoeing/Cross country skiing in Ottawa

That's great info :) I'll give them a call tomorrow - both seem perfect... thanks so much!

5. Re: Snowshoeing/Cross country skiing in Ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 10:29