We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rideau canal skating

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rideau canal skating

I just checked the weather and I am now worried about the ice conditions for this next weekend, even rain is expected. Should we leave our skates home? We will be in Ottawa from Thursday to Sunday. Are the museums still free admission on Thursday evenings?

Thank you for the help. :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rideau canal skating

If it's not a whole lot of extra luggage... definitely suggest bringing your skates.... canal has a solid base so it's really just a little surface water to worry about. They are doing everything possible to keep it operational... especially as this is the last weekend of Winterlude.

Right now Friday is looking a little iffy... but if the forecast holds Saturday should be ok and Sunday should really be ok...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rideau canal skating

Here is the webpage for ice conditions - it is updated daily at 7 am and 1 pm

canadascapital.gc.ca/places-to-visit/rideau-…

Current weather forecast calls for -9 on Friday night and -13 on Saturday night so I think the Canal will be possibly open Sat and almost surely Sunday.

Other skating options are - new Rink of Dreams in front of City Hall, Oval at Brewer Park across from Carleton University, Rink on the Governor General's grounds

Yes, museums are free on Thursday night

3. Re: Rideau canal skating

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:07