We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ottawa, river or canel cruise?

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
Ottawa, river or canel cruise?

We are going on a tour and whilst we are in Ottawa are given the choice of a canal or river cruise, which one should we pick?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ottawa, river or canel cruise?

I'd choose the Ottawa River cruise, without question. I don't know where Gosport is, and how well you know London, but your question is equivalent to asking whether one should take a Regents canal or Thames river cruise in London.

The Rideau Canal cruise is nice enough, but it is a confined waterway passing through some very nice residential neighbourhoods, with nice greenery and flora along the banks. The Ottawa is a major river with a recorded history going back over 400 years and with major buildings and impressive rapids. It really is the place to learn the history of Ottawa, from pre-European times, to Champlain's "discovery" in the early 17th century, to settlement in the early 18th century, to its establishment as Canada's capital in the mid-19th century and to the present.

It's been decades since I have done the cruise - I hope the narration and route is as good as it should be.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ottawa, river or canel cruise?

I would also suggest the Ottawa River cruise. It covers areas that are hard to experience from the shore. It tends to be windy on the river - great if its a hot day but dress in layers if its a cooler time of year.

The Rideau Canal is also interesting - especially the locks as it joins the Ottawa River beside Parliament Hill. There are lots of ways to see the section of the Canal that is covered by the boat tour from downtown Ottawa to Dows Lake. Road and pathways along both sides make it easy to walk, jog, or drive. Its about an hour to bike from downtown ( bixi bikes or Rent a Bike tandem bike), around Dows Lake to the locks at Carleton University and back. Or rent a kayak at Dows Lake and paddle the Canal.

3. Re: Ottawa, river or canel cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:16