We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ottawa in 2 days

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
ottawa in 2 days

Hi i would be coming into ottawa from toronto on the 15,16 october for 2 days staying at albert at bay hotel.

Would like to see rideau canal waterway,parliment hill,canadian war memorial and tomb of the unknown soilder.

We are not really into museums.

can u help us plan our itinery for 2 days please? we are 4 adults, no children interested in scenery, and hoping to go for some drives that will allow us to see foliage.

after ottawa our next stop will be stowe for 2 nights. is there a nice drive to stowe from ottawa that will let us catch some foliage pls?

thanks for your help.

regds ysh

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ottawa in 2 days

HI

all the attractions on your list are adjacent to each other. From your hotel walk to the Parliament buildings. you then walk over to the War Memorial which has the tomb of unknown soldier. Walk towards Chateau Laurier hotel and follow the path along the hotel with the canal and the locks on the left side. If you continue; there is a nice park; Major Hill's Park that is parrallel to the US Embassy This park has a great view of the river; back side of the Parliament buildings and a vista of the National Art Gallery. or take the steps down besides the US Embassy (York Street) to get to Byward Market and have lunch at one of the many restaurants. I tried to plot the walk on Google maps but it gives a longer walking route so not much use. This is the closest i got http://g.co/maps/jappf which is the area you want to see. Then take a taxi back to your hotel.

and a suggestion for a nice drive: take Sussex Drive which goes past City Hall and Rideau Hall. Then veer off to take the Rockcliffe Parkway all the way to the Canadian air museum. and come back via the Blackburn Hamlet; Innes Road and Riverside Drive. http://g.co/maps/d3ffx

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ottawa in 2 days

The Rideau Canal will have closed for the season for boating on Oct 10. It is hard to say whether they will have started to drain it by the 14th. It is currently full of water a full two weeks before opening, so maybe they leave it for a similar period after closing.

If the leaves haven't passed their peak, a drive up into the Gatineau Park or to Wakefield would be worth while.

Too bad you don't like museums, because that is what Ottawa has.

For the drive to Stowe, go to whatever your favourite mapping site is and put in Saranac Lake or Lake Placid as an intermediate stop - that will get you a good scenic route.

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ottawa in 2 days

Thank u so much to both of u obaarch and ronw, u both have sorted out my itnery for the 2 days. Ronw what museums do u suggest we go to if i ve some time to spare?

Thanks again.

regds

ysh

Kanata
Level Contributor
23 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ottawa in 2 days

When you are going to the Parliament buildings you might want to go on some of the tours and maybe go up to the observation deck of the peace tower if you go to the link shown below there is lots of information. http://www.parl.gc.ca/Visitors/index-E.asp

I noticed it says ireland below your profile picture you might be interested at looking at the article on the corktown footbridge on wiki which is not far down the canal you could walk down on one side cross the bridge I know there is a plague at somepoint if I remember right and come back the other side.

Most people see the canal on one side but it is well worth walking down on the side where the locks are and is also where the Bytown Museum is. The view is nice at the end of the locks to the river and there is also a path down there also this is where There is also a monument the Celtic Cross Located on the east side of the lower locks opposite of the museum in Ottawa this monument was unveiled on June 27, 2004. It was raised by the Rideau Canal Celtic Cross Committee which was supported by the Irish Society of Ottawa and the Ottawa and District Labour Council.

The memorial reads: "In Memory of 1000 workers & their families who died building this canal 1826 - 1832."

If you like an Outdoor Farmers Market take a walk down to the Byward Market there is lots of shops and restaurants. I do not know if churchs is of any interest to you but if yes then you should check out Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica of Ottawa it is the oldest standing and largest church in Ottawa. I have no connection with the church it is just absolutely beautiful inside. Sort of got of topic but I have always lived here and know there is a lof of things to see. Enjoy Ottawa it is a beautiful city!

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ottawa in 2 days

Thank you so much cluffsb for your tips. i went into the website you gave me and saw the free tours. i will go early and queue up so i hope i will get into one of the tours.

Yes i am from dublin and will go and see the monument you mention.

Yes i am interested in churches so will visit the notre dame cathetral . Heard of the byward open market glad it has plenty of shops which will be a great interest to the other 3 that are going with me.

Cant wait to see ottawa and what it has to offer. There is truly alot to cover my 2 days.

regds

ysh

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ottawa in 2 days

Regarding museums, the poster above mentioned the Bytown Museum, a small museum in an historic building that will give you a glimpse into Ottawa history.

Ottawa has the kind of museums you would expect in a nation's capital - a National Gallery, a nature museum, a science museum, a war museum. If you have been in such like museums in London, for example, you may well be underwhelmed.

You shouldn't be underwhelmed by the Museum of Civilization, though. An architecturally stunning building, in a terrific location on the banks of the Ottawa River directly across from Parliament Hill, and a pretty amazing Great Hall. The current special exhibition that will still be there in October is on the Mayan civiliation. That museum would be my first choice for you.

Adding to the above mention of churches and things Irish, Ottawa has a second major catholic church, St Patrick's Basilica, the mother church of English speaking catholics (originally largely Irish).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ottawa in 2 days

Your visiting dates will likely be the tail end of the Fall colours. Here is a site you can check out from October 2011:

canadascapital.gc.ca/places-to-visit/gatinea…

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ottawa in 2 days

Thanks ronw for our suggestions of the museums. I will certainly goto the museum of civilisation and the bytown museum. I love churches so will be visiting the st Patrick's basilica.

Will now put the things I am going to see in order As I am going to be driving in from Toronto I may continue with the Sussex drive that obaarch mention before checking into the Albert hotel, then I can leave the car In the parking and use public transport the 2nd day to see the parliament house, bytown museum, museum of civilisation and the 2 churches ,the rideable canal and also the bytown

Is seafood a must eat in Ottawa? If so can. Please suggest a budget seafood place for us. Thanks

Ysh

Kanata
Level Contributor
23 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ottawa in 2 days

I don't think you could call it a budget restaurant but I have always enjoyed the Fish Market in the market. If you go to www.fishmarket.ca you can get an idea. Or there is also Lapointe at 55 York Street there is another one in the market also but I don't think you can dine in there. I will be in your neck of the woods in Sept I am travelling to Ireland for a bus tour can't wait. The Albert at Bay is a really nice hotel we had family stay there just in the last 2 weeks. If you want to go past some interesting buildings on the way to parliament buildings then go out the front door of the hotel turn left and turn left onto Bay Street towards Wellington at the end of the street is the Library and Archives of Canada bldg, set back in on the left is the Supreme Court of Canada, when you get to Bank St it is the lower end of Parliament Hill you can see on the left the securty check for cars coming onto the hill (the public cannot drive onto the hill). If there are any cat lovers in your group. Take a walk around the bank of the parliament building and on the left there is a cat community that has been taken care of for years they can come and go when they want. When you are done on the hill then the unknown soldier's tomb, war memorial, canal, locks etc are just farther along Wellington street.

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ottawa in 2 days

Thanks cluffsb for your reply about the fish market and for telling me the albert at bay hotel is nice. I will follow your advice and do the walk u suggest from the hotel.

I am sure you will love ireland. The scenery is just so beautiful and unspoilt. weather is unpredictable but that is ireland. i live in dublin. what kind of bus tour will you be on? is it a tour round ireland?

enjoy your trip over here.

regds

ysh

Get answers to your questions about Ottawa