We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental vs Taxi

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental vs Taxi

Spending three days in Ottawa this summer. Arriving on Sat afternoon and leaving Monday evening.

Is it better to rent a car for three days, or just use taxis

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,436 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental vs Taxi

You don't state what you plan to do while here and how many involved. Family? Kids? Ottawa downtown is not that big and can be walked. Bus is another option, but parking is a pain and hotels don't have free parking so that would not be my recommendation. Taxis are expensive, but I expect would be cheaper than a rental car. The city bus leaves from the airport every 15 minutes and costs $3.25 - still payable with cash. It takes about half an hour to get downtown. If coming by train, there is a transit way just in front of the train depot and buses run along there every few minutes to town.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental vs Taxi

I agree with the above. Bringing a car into centretown Ottawa would mainly benefit parking lot operators.Walking and buses will get you most everywhere; if you prefer taxis, well, it's your money.

If you wanted to spend a day in the Gatineau, rent a car for that day.

Toronto
Level Contributor
523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental vs Taxi

I agree with previous posters. Once in Ottawa, you can get to most things by walking or by bus. I would only rent a car if there are things you'd like to do outside of the city. There are a lot of ony way, alternating streets in the downtown area that can get confusing when driving in Ottawa. Let someone else do the driving (ie bus or taxi) and enjoy the scenery. Ottawa is beautiful ths time of year.

Carleton Place...
Level Contributor
841 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental vs Taxi

Take the bus...you can get day passes which allow you to hop on and off as much as you want through out the day, and will take you anywhere in the city, not just in the down town area. Taxis a VERY expensive.

5. Re: Car Rental vs Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:46
Get answers to your questions about Ottawa