We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short visit to Ottawa

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Livorno, Italy
Level Contributor
140 posts
301 reviews
Save Topic
Short visit to Ottawa

We are planning a short trop to Niagara Falls and Toronto. I would like to add either Montreal or Ottawa to the itinerary. I have been to Montreal 25 years ago and I liked it very much, on the other end, Ottawa would be something new for m., Unfortunately we can spend in Ottawa only a couple of days. Can you suggest an itinerary for such a short visit or a link? Thanks in advance.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short visit to Ottawa

Can you give us an idea of what you enjoy? Museums, nature, neighbourhoods?

Livorno, Italy
Level Contributor
140 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short visit to Ottawa

I think we won't have time for museums. So better neighbourhoods and nature. Ti give you an idea, I think we would enjoy visiting parliament hill and walking along the Rideau canal, from what I have been reading. Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short visit to Ottawa

You'd also want to go through the Byward Market....

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short visit to Ottawa

To get a feel for Ottawa, maybe some traditional things. For example, the changing of the guard on Parliament Hill, followed by a tour of Parliament.

ottawatourism.ca/en/visitors/what-to-do/capi…

Walking down Sussex Drive, you walk by the National Gallery, the Mint, a few Embassies, the Byward Market (many fresh vendors and restaurants). You can window shop, or stop in at the Gallery or Mint if you feel like doing so. Continue walking on Sussex, and you arrive at the Prime Minister's residence (really you can just look in from the gates) and the Governor General's residence. You can tour the GG's, called Rideau Hall, and the grounds are lovely for a picnic. Rideau Hall:

http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=164

Hope this helps!

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short visit to Ottawa

The Byward Market is centrally located to the Hill and can be interesting, but I'd recommend getting away from the Parliamentary District for at least a day.

- Gatineau Park:

It's a short drive to Champlain Lookout to take in the view, and/or to Pink Lake and take a gentle walk around. Possibly also hit the Mackenzie King estate - there is his house, the ruins he created, a lake and a teahouse. A good morning or afternoon. You could also combine this with a drive to a charming town in Quebec - say Chelsea or Wakefield (covered bridges, a small lake, lovely green rolling hills, and a quaint a vibrant heart of town). A leisurely day or a faster 5-6 hours.

- Westboro/West Wellington/Hintonburg:

Lots of unique shops, galleries and restaurants, all collected along Wellington street (not the one that runs in front of Parliament!). Personally, I'd start at Wellington around Irving, and walk west. You'll pass Suzy Qs donuts and the Tacolot, the new Elmdale tavern, the Hintonburger, and then hit Parkdale, where you can pop over to the Parkdale farmers market (there daily!), hit Orange art gallery and Beyond the Pale brewing before you continue west.

Between Parkdale and Island Park, you'll pass by galleries including Cube and AliCat, boutiques like Viens Avec Moi, Flock and Victoire, Nectar for tea and Illume for coffee, fresh bagels at the Ottawa Bagelshop, a numberof great bakeries (the tarts at Harvest Loaf are the best), and a number of good restaurants. But, I'd say, grab picnic supplies from the bakeries, the amazing produce at Herb and Spice, or a sandwhich or cheese at Nicastros (or hit the 24 hour Metro) and head north to the river. You can either head halfway across the bridge at Island Park and lunch on an island, or sit on a bench, beach or the grass along the river. You can walk back along the river to where you parked your car, or head either east to the Tunney's Pasture bus station, or west to the Westboro station.

Also an option to start around Kirkwood and move west along Wellington through trendy Westboro, but I find it a bit less diverse in terms of food and architechture - more high end though.

- The Glebe

Prosperous neighbourhood along Bank street south of the Queensway - again, shops, bakeries, restaurants. Lovely old housing stock. There's the canal to the east and Dow's Lake to the west. Possible to rent a canoe or pedal boat at Dow's Lake, walk around it, or sit at Lago or GuadalaHarry's and have a drink overlooking the water.

Have a good trip!

Valrico, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short visit to Ottawa

I am interested in this thread because I am also planning a trip to Canada next summer and want to try Ottawa. i was looking into things like white water rafting or horseback riding. My kids would also like historical sites. They will be 10 and 12 by the time we do this, so things like lots of shopping and galleries, or long walks in market districts would be great for me, but unfortunately, probably won't hold their interest very long. Would love any suggestions! We then are going to Toronto so any suggestions there for kids would be great. (CN tower?) (goes without saying: we are visiting Niagara Falls--I know that area well since I was born/raised there)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short visit to Ottawa

CBJBABNB....

There is excellent whitewater rafting about 1.5 hours from Ottawa... I've been on www.wildernesstours.com, but I know www.owl-mkc.ca is another reputable outfit... I think there are a few other companies but they are all on the same section of the Ottawa River. Check out the Trip Advisor reviews for more info.

I've never really gone on a major horseback excursion... but I'm sure there are many local outfits with all kinds of tours. Might suggest you google and start your own thread with more detailed questions...

Your Toronto questions would be best put on the Toronto fourm :)

Valrico, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short visit to Ottawa

thank you!

9. Re: Short visit to Ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:16