We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada Day Fireworks from Victoria Island?

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NL, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Canada Day Fireworks from Victoria Island?

Hi All,

I'm sure there have been tons of questions about fireworks and viewing locations over the years. I'm thinking that Major's Hill Park area will be very crowded? I'm wondering how the view would be from Victoria Island? Would crowds be any better here compared to Major's Hill?

BTW, we are staying in Hotel near Ottawa city hall so hadn't considered area new civilization museum. Would this be a doable walk back after fireworks with crowds? It looks like about 3 km, but with bridges and crowds would it be a slow go?

Thanks in advance. All suggestions welcome.

Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada Day Fireworks from Victoria Island?

Victoria Island won't be as crowded (though there will be lots of people there and along the banks of the river bhind Parliament), and the view will be good. Not as good as Major's Hill Park or around the Museum or Civilization or National Gallery, but people will be packed in like sardines there. I love that you can often smell the fireworks if you are around the National Gallery.

Keep in mind the bridges will be closed during the fireworks and for a period before and after. It's a slow, crowded but do-able walk back once the bridge opens again, but if you are tired after a long day, it will feel interminably long.

Pakenham, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada Day Fireworks from Victoria Island?

I would also suggest watching from behind the Supreme Court building. It's a good view, it's not usually all that crowded, and it's a convenient place to depart from afterwards.

Downtown streets are closed for hours after the fireworks, so parking can be difficult (there little-to-no parking available on Victoria Island, so you'd have to park in Hull or Ottawa and walk).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada Day Fireworks from Victoria Island?

If you are planning on Victoria Island, you should go in the day light to scout out where you will have a good view. The island has quite a few trees so not all areas would give you a good view of the sky. And there are very few street lights so it will be challenging to get around after dark if you are not sure where you are going.

If you can see the Alexandra Bridge (looks like a mechano set) that would be a good location to view the fireworks.

The plaza in front of the War Museum has a good view and is not crowded. Maybe a little too quite to get the Canada Day feel.

4. Re: Canada Day Fireworks from Victoria Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 05:17