We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal via Ottawa

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Montreal via Ottawa

I am planning a VERY big trip across Canada and through USA with my family in 2018. Long way off but lots of $$$ to save. My question is, is it worth going via Ottawa to Montreal from Toronto? It adds about another hour and a half.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,671 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

Hi CeeJaye33;

It is only worth it if you are planning to spend a day or two in Ottawa.

Best Regards

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

Welcome to Trip Advisor CeeJaye!

Ottawa is indeed worth a stop, of a couple of days though, like RescueTeam suggests.

There is the canal, the Parliament Buildings to tour, including Peace Tower with it's wonderful views. The museums are great, and you could dedicate a whole day just for those. And Byward Market for some shopping.

http://www.ottawatourism.ca/en/

What time of year would you be there?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

3 nights in Ottawa. Try to see the Museum of Civilization just across the river from Ottawa in Gatineau. Go for a boat ride on the Rideau Canal.

http://www.civilization.ca/home

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

Hi there. Thanks for your replies :) We have limited time (40 days total though) and will have a 7 year old and 10 year old with us. I don't think we will be visiting many museums or similar on our trip. We are mostly interested in the natural wonders and the architecture of the area... and lots of theme parks (for the kids). The pan for this section is to Stay in Toronto 2 nights, then we are getting a motorhome (RV i think you call them...) and driving to Montreal (were thinking via Ottawa - stopping there for lunch and a quick look around). Staying Montreal for 3 nights with a daytrip to Quebec city. Then back down to Toronto (on the otherside - so up one way back the other). In Toronto for another 2 nights with a day trip to Niagra falls and then we fly to NYC.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

Oh and we are going either June/July/August or September/October. We start our trip in LA. We get to Toronto about day 20. Lots of flying, but we thought the best way to fit lots in a small time would be to see the inside passage, drive vancouver to Calgary (stopping in Revelspoke? and Banff). Fly Calgary to Toronto and do the above mentioned drive.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,671 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

Hi CeeJaye33;

First - forget the motorhome (RV) idea.

You will NOT want an RV in ANY of the cities you are planning to visit. There is the cost to rent the RV, plus the operational costs, plus the fees in the RV parks...you will most likely find it more convenient and less expensive, to rent a nice car and stay in hotels.

Second - IMHO, you're trying to do way too much on too little time.

You could spend an entire week in either Toronto or Quebec City and still have plenty to see and do ! Montreal should be a 2-3 day stay, and Ottawa needs 2 days.

>>"We are mostly interested in the natural wonders..."<<

...yet you are driving past the natural beauty of the 1000 Islands, without stopping.

http://www.ganboatline.com/

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

>>"Then back down to Toronto (on the otherside - so up one way back the other)."<<

I presume you are alluding to driving via the United States. If so, Niagara Falls should be a stop after Montreal and before Toronto.

Best Regards

Edited: 21 September 2013, 14:04
Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
554 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

I agree that you are doing too much.

Fly into Toronto and spend some time there. 4 nights would give you three full days to Niagara Falls one day, Canada's Wonderland one day, and see Toronto (CN Tower, Shopping, etc) one day.

From there you could spend a few days outside of cities. There's Georgian Bay, Algonquin Park, Sandbanks Park, the 1000 Islands.

I wouldn't waste the time driving to Ottawa just for lunch. If you can work a few nights for it into your itinerary, then yes. If you are going for lunch, then no. Your time would be better spent in the 1000 Islands which is between Toronto and Montreal.

Then you could continue on to Montreal and Quebec City (lots of nice old architecture) and fly to NY City from there.

I also think that an RV would not be the best option for you, unless you plan on staying outside the cities.

planet earth
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

Forget the MH idea as they are a pain to park in the cities, just rent minivan if you must or just make use of public transportation which is adequate in the areas you're interested in.

Oh yeah bring wads of cash for the ripoff theme parks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

Motor homes are not ideal for urban travel, way too expensive and especially for the kilometers you are going to put on in such a short time, you will get killed on the cost of the kilometer overage, can be a $0.25 per km with an RV, let alone the gas! As suggested above, I'd look at shortening your itinerary if you are limited on your days available in Canada....also, for what it is worth, September and October tends to be cheaper for travel across North America, so your budget will go further than if you were to come in July/August...

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montreal via Ottawa

Not only is it cheaper to travel in September/October, it will be somewhat quieter as the kids head back to school here in early September.

Check out various rental car agencies to compare drop off charges for a one way rental. Then you could fly to New York from Quebec City and avoid some back tracking, and that would give you more time to see the area properly instead of racing around in a circle.