We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budgeting

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Budgeting

Is it possible to survive on $40 a day for food?

Food wise, I am a student so I'm not overly fussy about where I eat. I would quite happily eat in fast food restaurants for most of my trip if it meant saving money, then maybe go to a couple of American cuisine restaurants throughout my trip. Is this do-able on my budget? Also, can anybody recommend nice restaurants to try within my budget if this is do-able? Nothing adventurous, I'm a very fussy eater!

Also, can I expect to visit a responsible amount of tourist-y places for an additional $40 a day? Would this budget be cutting off any of the major must-do places?

Thanks in advance

P.S. Is monopalatte really as awesome as it seems? Lol

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budgeting

It is possible. You should even have enough to eat at a regular restaurant for dinner. But that will not include any alchol. For a good prices, and not totally fast food Tim Hortons is the place to go.

Most museums are around $10 to go into. The "Government" things like Parliment Hill, Supreme Court are all free to enter. If you want to see alot of museums there is a pass that can be bought that includes entrance to many places over a week or two week period. (I think it is called the Capital Pass, but you will have to look it up)

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,734 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budgeting

You can also keep your food budget down (and your nutrition levels up) by supplying some meals from grocery stores, especially breakfast, lunch and snacks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budgeting

Poster "Vandan" had some great feedback on cheap eats; just one thread down from yours.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 21:47
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budgeting

$40 is more than doable...

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budgeting

Jasper is right on, if you shop at grocery stores, you can save $ and still eat good. If your hotel room has a fridge all the better. You can buy a 6 pack of soda on sale for about how much they want for one can of cold pop in the vending machines. Get a jug of juice, milk and some yogurt. A box of cereal and maybe a loaf of bread. Little bit of lunch meat and cheeses and some fruit and you be just fine and still can enjoy a dinner out at a moderate price restaurant.

Edited: 13 October 2013, 00:14
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Budgeting

Thanks everyone :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budgeting

$40 is doable for sure. Definitely pick up a few things at the grocery store to have in your hotel for breakfast. There are lots of sandwich places etc where you can grab lunch for under $10 and then you'll have money for a nice dinner once in a while.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budgeting

Oh yeah, sure it's doable. I'd pick up some things at the grocery store...you know, some things you can have in the morning before leaving your hotel. You've got lots of sandwich shops, burger joints etc...where you can enjoy a nice lunch for under $10. If you budget during the day you should have some money left over for a nicer dinner.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Budgeting

Where are you staying (hotel vs apartment) and when are you visiting?

I can help suggest some places, but knowing the above makes it easier.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Budgeting

I was hoping for August 2014 but it looks like it could possibly be 2015 but I can get there :(

A hotel, preferably although it'll be whatever I can afford. I'm not sure if I have the geography down right, but I'm thinking on the outskirts of the city, near-ish to Kanata, so I'll be close to visit friends there

Get answers to your questions about Ottawa