We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in one day?

canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Topic
What to do in one day?

A day trip to Ottawa on a weekday, arriving by car from Montreal. My goal is to admire the beauty of Ottawa, the main attractions, architecture, pictoresque places, rideau canal, etc. Where should I park my car and start walking? which streets? And what would be the must-see things? And where to have dinner (nice but inexpensive)? Basically I want to have a plan before I leave Mtl on where to park and what would be my walking schedule. Lol tganks a lot.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in one day?

I'd park by the University of Ottawa or the Byward Market, which would allow you to walk around the Market and see Parliament Hill, etc. depending on your interests, you can see the museums you would like to visit....

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,729 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in one day?

hi

there are a couple of parking structures at the Byward Market and sometime you may find street parking but the parking meters are not long enough. check out this posting for a walking tour

tripadvisor.com/…53477543

canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in one day?

Thanks for the replies... When you guys say to park in the Byward market, do you mean like in their private parking for their customers? Wouldn't they notice I'm not going in their store and give me a fine? If not, at what time does the Byward market close in the weekdays? Thanks

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in one day?

People are using the term Byward Market as a shorthand for the neighbourhood that surrounds the By Ward Market. As well as containing the traditional farmers market, there are many dozens of bars, restaurants, shops, etc., as well as some of the oldest buildings in Ottawa.

There are two city-owned parking garages in this neighbourhood, lots 4 and 5 in ottawa.ca/en/residents/transportation-and-pa…

There is also one privately owned parking structure.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in one day?

Just to add, if I were visiting Ottawa for the day, I would not park in the Market - I see no advantage in dealing with the traffic in the Market, and I would be spending more time visiting Parliament, walking along the canal, visiting the National Gallery, Museum of Civilization, etc. than I would spend in the Market.. I would use either the lot under city hall (#6 on the webpage) or the lot under the World Exchange Plaza.

canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in one day?

Thanks Ronw.

Ottawa ON
Level Contributor
125 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in one day?

I have to agree with Ron W and suggest parking at the World Exchange Centre. This is also where the visitor information is so after you park, head to the ground floor for some advice, maps, directions, etc. You can leave your car there all day without worry (it's open 24 hours) and it's easy to get back on the highway to go to Montreal (leave via the O'Connor exit and you just go straight to the 417).

Enjoy your day in Ottawa.

Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in one day?

The benefit of the World Exchange Plaza parking is it is free on weekends - and a great location. But not sure it is okay to leave your car overnight unless something has changed recently.

canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in one day?

Thanks guys, I will park in the World Exchange Center parking. Obviously most of the attractions are nearby, but if I decide to also visit the Rideau Hall and/or cross the bridge to visit the Museum of Civilization, are they doable by walking or would they be a little far from the parliament buildings area? Thx

Athens, Ontario
Level Contributor
555 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in one day?

Here's what I suggest:

Park at the World Exchange Plaza and walk towards Parliament Hill making a stop at the info centre. Then head straight to the visitor entrance of Centre Block to book a tour time. If you have to wait, the Supreme Court of Canada is just to the west or you can take a self-guided tour of the outside of the buildings. If you don't want a tour, you should still head here first and take a trip up the Peace Tower to get a nice overhead view of the downtown.

From the Hill, head east. At the intersection of Elgin and Wellington/Rideau there is a nice war memorial to the south and some canal locks to the north. Not sure if there are still bicycles for rent at this time of year, but starting here and biking south along the canal to Hog's Back Falls and back is nice. Next cut through the Chateau Laurier (enter the main entrance and head to the right and then take a left heading out through the parking garage) if you'd like to see the interior. Head north through Major's Hill Park and have a look at the back of the Parliament Buildings and the river from Nepean Point.

Next you could head to the National Art Gallery and Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica or head across the bridge to the Museum of Civilization. From the Art Gallery head north past the old War Museum and the Mint (the Mint can be toured) and follow Sussex to the falls where the Rideau River meets the Ottawa River before walking past the Prime Minister's Residence and visiting Rideau Hall. If you went to the Museum of Civilzation, I suggest taking a taxi to Rideau Hall.

Take the Union St. bridge back towards the Byward Market and get in a little shopping and then have dinner here or head to Elgin or Sparks St. This will be a lot of walking but will take you by most of the main spots in downtown Ottawa

If you are wondering about walking times, you can get directions using Google Maps. There will be 4 pictures above the starting/ending locations. A car, bus, walker, and cyclist. Click on the walker to get a rough estimate of walking times.