We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

Which Ottawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

Hi all,

As subject, how can I get to the hotel from the train station? How much does it cost for me to hire a taxi to the hotel? Or how can I get to the hotel by public transits?

I would also like to know the most convenient way for the opposite direction (econolodge downtown to rail station)

Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

You are looking at around $30 bucks if you hire a taxi...

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,613 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

Public transit info, including trip planner here:

http://www.octranspo1.com/?from=splash

Taxi info:

www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Ottawa

Going back would be the same as going to.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

Taxi should be much cheaper than $30. It's just a short hop down the Vanier parkway and left onto Rideau.

Farefinder puts it at $12... I'd say budget $15 tops for a cab one way.

Public transit is awkward... either a transfer or long walk.

In this case I'd suggest cabbing it if at all possible.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

Take the 95 or 96 bus from the train station to Laurier transitway station (about 7 minutes), then its a 15 minute (1.3km) walk through the Sandy Hill neighbourhood to the Econolodge on Rideau.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

Thanks for all the useful guides! I think I'll opt for buses as I plan to get a day pass and it might be a more budget friendly way. By the way, is econo lodge anywhere close to the attractions core? or it's only accessible by public buses?

Thanks again!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

Bus is definitely more budget friendly... I was just thinking of hauling luggage around... if that is not a concern and you're into walking then definitely get the day pass.

Econo Lodge is a little less than 1km (along a major street) from where the attractions start. So again, if you're into walking (like me), you'll be just fine :)

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

I suppose you could describe the Econolodge`s location as being on the eastern side of downtown. A 5 minute walk will get you to the edge of the By Ward Market. Parliament Hill and National Gallery would each be maybe a 25 minute walk from the hotel.

I don`t know when you are travelling, but Rideau Street is under major reconstruction at present - currently one way going towards downtown. Buses 7 and 12 pass in front of the Econolodge going west, coming back it takes a parallel street - Besserer, I guess..

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,613 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

Google maps is your friend ... learn to use it.

http://goo.gl/maps/P7tl5

On this link: A is the Econolodge, B is the Byward Market area, and C is Parliament buildings.

9. Re: getting from ottawa VIA rail station to econo lodge downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 05:18